Why...why "CPlane i" has been changed to "CPlane p"?

unhandled
why
annoying

Hi,

I consider myself a very old RH user, not the oldest but old enough to tried long time ago RH2.

For a long time I got used to the commands and the auto-completion behaviour…so I use alias, but only for macros or very cumbersome commands which need a lot of typing to get the auto-completion deciphering them.

One of my non-aliased commands for long time has been CPlane. I find “CP” short enough to work as a pseudo-alias and the several combinations of “CP W T”, etc, clear enough to be used without any problem. One of those combinations has been for a long time “CP i” that was assigned to “CPlane 3Point”…

Someone (rise your hand, don’t be shy :P) during RH6 development thought that changing the i for a p makes a lot of sense…and it makes…but, in this time of transition has become a major pain in the ass for me, currently moving between both versions and used to the old CPlane command behaviour.

I suppose that this will remain in this way and is ok, but please, consider for the next version this kind of changes as very annoying changes if they are not very justified…in this case I can imagine that the reason behind this change are possible new comers crashing (as happened to me in the pass) with the non-sense of “i” as the shortcut for 3points. Please, balance the new adopters versus long time and old loyal users experience :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

Sub-command coherence

This may not work for you, but if you don’t already have an alias for “i”, you can create an alias with the command macro 3point and that will work.

Sam

II know, I know, I already have an alias for “CPlane 3Point”…the post was more about rising the issue of old users suffering little changes in features that have been for a long time in the software…and how to address those at design stage by Mcneel. Probably they already evaluate this, but as I found this little kink, I wanted to say “hey guys, if something like this happens in the future think about the old users too, not only the newbies”.

I believe I can explain why this happened - I think maybe it was inadvertent…

IIRC from a very long time ago, the letter shortcuts are generated automatically, they are not discreetly assigned. Starting from the left, it tries the first letter of each option name. If that letter is available - i.e. it hasn’t already been used by another option in the same line - it gets assigned. If the first letter has already been used by a previous option (further to the left), the second letter is tried, if it’s free, it’s assigned. If that one is also occupied, it tries the third, and so on.

Now, look at how the command line options have changed:

V5:

V6:

So, what happened?

In V5, the “P” was taken by “Previous”, and the “O” by “Object” - which, as numbers are not allowed as shortcuts, left “i” for 3Point…

In V6, CPlane Previous was renamed to “Undo” and that was moved to the end. That created a cascading effect as it left “P” as an available letter, which got picked up automatically by 3Point…

:stuck_out_tongue:

FilletEdge interface tweak
(Wim Dekeyser) #5

I so often wish that this was done a bit more carefully…

Take Revolve, for example. The most used option for this (in my world), is FullCircle. Yet, that comes after both DeleteInput, and Deformable and thus got the shortcut letter of U. Other than “FullCircle” being a clear F in my mind, all letters R, E, V, and F are on the left side of the keyboard - I wouldn’t even have to let go of the mouse to get this command to do its business…
water under the bridge…

Makes total sense. Thanks for the explanation, it really helps to understand what happened. Anyway I’m with @wim about that this kind of decisions should be a little bit more “human” controlled. I understand that is not a big issue and is not even worth mentioning in the sense of a particular request but more in the sense of how the UI evolves and facilitates product usage over time and different product releases.

Anyway, this should not escalate a lot, I just wanted to leave some kind of testimony for future releases if Mcneel consider it useful…i’m sure that there are more important issues to address.