Why is my weld pattern so different yet followed Pascal settings

Hi
V5
@pascal
I have dug out the Pascal guide to weld making. held as a .3dm file.

Created the same object, created the same settings for waves texture 001, by selecting it and edit then doing same in my file.
created 10mm FilletSrf, dir check arrows same.

I have a totally different pattern to pascals weld, why ?
What have I missed ?

Is there a weld maker in v7 as I sure could do with one.

I google weld making rhino and there is nothing on this out there.
Rhino isn’t engineering like some other CAD progs are, it seems. Even sheet metal bending doesnt exist as they do it.
attached the pascal weld and my copycat failure.

Anyone care to make a command that uses a preset pattern and a suitable weld appearance ?

Pascal Displacement.3dm (262.3 KB)
TEST FOLLOW PASCAL WELD CREATION DISPLACEMENT MAPPING.3dm (183.4 KB)

Hi Steve,

Your weld surface UV direction is not the same as Pascal’s, so your waves run round the ring. Analyze the direction and swap uv and your weld will match his.

HTH
Jeremy

Hi, what do I have to do to do that, never dabbled with UV dirs before.

what command, and what to actually do, a step by step to fix most welcome.

amazingly I did another FilletSrf and got this crazy result,

same filletSrf, same texture, and settings again, why do they differ so much ?
weld goes very wrong.3dm (272.1 KB)

Steve

Use:

Then:

Hi, I did dir and doing that see nothing notably different with the arrows, except perhaps thin dark extensions to their tails ?
I do it anyway and behold, ripples , but I would not have spotted anything going by the arrows. Its a have faith and do it thing, but I am uneasy over such, prefer to know exactly what is to be seen and going on.

@pascal
did something to pull the vertical ripples which are not at all very weld looking but getting there, into a stack of coins effect, the middle of each ripple bowing forward., like lava flows.
A step by step most welcome as I never managed it.

Looking at my wierd hairy effect I get the feeling one can have great fun messing about with settings and textures creating solids impossible with conventional tools !

Steve

Ignore the big white arrows which indicate the surface normals and look for the small red/green UV indicator that follows the cursor as you move over the surface.

Hi,

I could see but white arrows and something but nothing really showing.

and how do I get the curved pattern/steppy flow of weld marks ?

these are too vertical.

is there a way of making the black bars curved perhaps ?

Pascal dragged something but if I have a weld wandering round bends and so on, dragging might not be so easy. even in a circle how does one drag in a circle direction ?

I reckon a curved pattern perhaps ?
weld1

Steve

Pascal will have selected the middle row of control points which run around the weld ring and used MoveUVN to move them around the ring a little, creating the curves.

Hi,
I think if a weld is going to be following a variable path then trying to drag mid points in the variable direction is going to be difficult.
What if the black/white pattern itself was the curved shape, would that work ?
Not familiar with the textures can they be made in photoshop and to what size must they be ?

What does soft edge v sharp edge do to the black ? I see Pascal softened both edges when the texture first taken has one edge of each type.

Steve

Hi,
V5
Calling out for anyone who is clever.
Could someone have a play on a 0.2 inch thick (width) weld, get the repeated curved effect of the weld, (see images posted earlier), a texture with arcing black lines.
How is it done, what size is the tile, what file type, where to save it to in Rhino etc. Perhaps use existing texture and fiddle the numbers to get the lines to arc ?

Something that can be used on any shape is needed.

FilletSrf seems to be the best way of of creating the surface to applyDisplacement.

This could then be the go to method for any welds for us all.

I am now done but for the welds. One job nearer converting to win10. just some welds in the way.

Achieving a quick weld in Rhino is the aim, there has to be a way.

Steve

2 Likes

Control Points have their own selection tools: you can pick a point and then select all the points lined up with it in the U or V direction with one command (_SelU, _SelV). If you’ve created a fillet then one of these should be the ring of points around the middle of the fillet, even if the fillet isn’t a simple ring.

Once you have the points selected you use _MoveUVN to move every selected point simultaneously around the ring. (U and V are directions along and across a surface, not vectors like X and Y with constant direction in space.)

2 Likes

Hi Jeremy,
@jeremy5
I am still wondering if to avoid dragging points around a wavy path, to get the coin curves a curved b/w texture would give that anyway with no need to try and drag points.
How to get that curved texture Black/white is my struggle. Is it done with the numbers and settings ?
Does one make an arced texture in Photoshop ?
such would minimise the workflow, which is always good to do.
Weld I need is a slight coin effect at most , more like a silicone sealant gun with slight pulsing !

Steve

making strips of different types of bump maps, or displacement map images you can choose from depending on your needs will be key here unless you are trying to have physical geometry-

sharp black and white transitions will yield sharp edges, and blurred images make for soft transitions… you can then add whatever details you want.

displacement will look better than bump, but you’ll have to manage the edges more closely with displacement.

Hi,
V5
@theoutside and anyone, please…
I cannot find an article or youtube on how to make a raster image for use with displacement, what pixel by pixel size it should be, where to save it to in Rhino , no doubt somewhere on C drive but where ?
What other subtle details like need it be RGB or sRGB or greyscale or bmp or jpg etc etc. profile or without profile.

should it be square or a ribbon shape even ?

weld 0.2inch wide so I guess I will have to try out certain sizes and designs.

There is nothing out there I can find after an hour searching.

found a guy making a lump of rock ? altering black and white values , of a jpg but didnt show where he stored it.

Steve

You’ll wanna make a gray scale image, strip shaped approximately the length of your surface. You will add it to the bump channel of a material that you assign specifically to that surface, you can use sub object selection or make a separate material and leave the surface un joined.

You can store the image in the same folder as the model.

see brain james displacement video

I would use displacements more if they weren’t re-displaced so often.