Why doesn't extrude keep the result as the selection?

It’s very tedious (and RSI inducing) to have to re-select everything that the command I just performed output…

keepselection

Is there a setting for this I’m missing?

EDIT: I just noticed that other commands do keep their results selected. Is this the famous Rhino consistency that strikes again?

1 Like

No - but one thing might help - _SelLast will select the last created object(s) so it will select all of your surfaces with one click or alias.

I recall many, many years ago on the old newsgroup @JimCarruthers made a statement that output should always be selected at the end of the command. I do have a tendency to agree with this, but it has never been implemented across the board in Rhino.

Edit - @eobet you could modify your ExtrudeCrv button to have the following macro:

! _ExtrudeCrv _Multipause _SelNone _SelLast

In a quick test here, that should leave the extrusions selected at the end of the command.

2 Likes

Fantastic! And the Loft command as well, it seems…

Now, if only Fin would accept SelChain as well… (consistency, yay) :upside_down_face:

1 Like

thanks for the suggestion! I usually used “Sel last”, because my “Extrude straight” tool was set with the following macro that was important to me:

! _ExtrudeCrv _Pause
_Solid=_Yes

However, I just realized that it will also work if I include to select the output, too:

! _ExtrudeCrv _Pause
_Solid=_Yes
_Multipause _SelNone _SelLast

It could also work like:

! _ExtrudeCrv _Pause
_Solid=_Yes
_Multipause _SelNone _SelLast _Join