Which renderer for Rhino?

That is good news. I just got 6 WIP. I have noticed that with the McNeel renderers, they all use .rmtl file format for materials except Flamingo. We use Flamingo at work, so I am trying to find out where we should go with our default Render Program.

So if trying to future-proof, should we switch to Brazil, wait for Rhino6, or switch to ab external program? We do not need super photo-realistic images. We also have 2 people who work on OSX Rhino, how is the upcoming internal renderer in Mac Rhino going to interact with the Windows side?

Thanks Ā«Randy

1 Like

Is this true in some way, @dan?

ā€“
Thanks,
Ulrich Maasmeier

Hi Ulrich-

What is this? I am I correct to presume itā€™s Randyā€™s

We also have 2 people who work on OSX Rhino, how is the upcoming internal renderer in Mac Rhino going to interact with the Windows side?

ā€¦? Iā€™m not sure what info I can giveā€¦but Iā€™ll be happy to give it once I know :wink:

I was thinking in terms of materials and cross platform. So if a model is set up to render with Cycles (Maybe RhinoRender & Brazil) in Windows Rhino, could it as be used later to render from OSX Rhino.

Thanks Ā«Randy

With the initial release of Rhino for Mac 5.0 (and I stress, the initial release), we intend ship with a single renderer called ā€œRhino Render.ā€ It will use rmtl files. It will be compatible with the Rhino Render in Rhino 5 for Windows ā€¦or we intend it to be compatible, but since weā€™ve yet to really battle-test this yet, wellā€¦ insert hand waving here: :wave:

We would like to release a Rhino for Mac ā€œdot releaseā€ - what we are calling 5.x - update with the RDK, but we do not have a clear timeline for this yet.

Any leads on where to look to learn RhinoRender, we have always used Flamingo. I have one person on OSX, who has never rendered because of the Flamingo / Windows only scenario. May be time to do some battle testing.

I know the Mac renderer is in a state of flux right now, But just getting some simple docs set up for our workflow and I could use Windows just for now.

Thanks Ā«Randy

Note that RhinoCycles is still very much work-in-progress. And for now that WIP work is done on Windows only. Once the RDK-bit is available Rhino for Mac it should be possible to get the same Cycles render engine working on Rhino for Mac as well.

/Nathan

Thanks

Ā«Randy

Keyshot is very fast and reliable ā€¦I have worked with it for few years now so any questions please just askā€¦ Very easy to learnā€¦

I donā€™t understand.

Flamingo nXt will not have the full features of Rhino6?

I donā€™t want to spread panic ā€¦

Thank you for the reply!

Hi Guido.

May I suggest a couple of things to do your work with Rhino / V-Ray a little easier?

First you can purchase an extra dongle (around 40 Euro) and have one of your licenses moved to that dongle, then you can use it at home and work, just having the dongle in your laptop.

Chaos Group I believe CAN make you a software locked license for one of your V-Ray licenses, ask them support@chaosgroup.com They are always very helpful.

One other thing is that you can, change the current render inside Rhino to NOT using V-Ray when you donĀ“t have a dongle with you, then V-Ray shouldnĀ“t try to get a license when you work, of course you canĀ“t USE V-Ray, but you can model and do any other kind of work you need inside Rhino, without V-Ray disturbing your work.

Regarding the V-Ray for Rhino Manual. You are quite right that the old V-Ray 1 manual is close to useless. I recommend to use the on-line manual for V-Ray for Rhino. The link is here: http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VR2R/V-Ray+2.0+for+Rhino+Help

I really suggest writing to support@chaosgroup.com with your needs / problems. They really are a cool bunch of guys that will bend over backwards to make you a happy render camper :smile:

All the best
Walter

You might want to check out AIR from SitexGraphics
http://www.sitexgraphics.com/

Itā€™s fairly priced, has a seamless Rhino integration, and you can d/l a demo version. Support is very good, too.

hth
Cyana

Walter thank you for the great response.

Guido,

You could also access your dongle via a VPN from an outside location. This is a huge benefit of having network licensing.

The V Ray for Rhino forum is another helpful resource. It is preferred you ask questions there so everything can benefit from the answer, but you can always send your question to email support if you prefer.

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/forumdisplay.php?125-V-Ray-for-Rhino-forums

V-Ray For Rhino Developer

Thank you for all your replies.

Years ago we switched from Flamingo (v 2) to vray (v. 1), and I was positively impressed I could get a nice render in a pretty short time (apply materials, set the background color and hit render). Of course it took time mastering enough of it to get a very good render, but the startup was quite fast.
Getting from regular user to advanced user though is a lot more difficult due to the non-existent documentation. The online manual someone pointed out doesnā€™t help a lot. Try making a marble material: it tells you ā€œopen the drop list and select Marble for making marbleā€, doing that opens a window with at least 25 parameters to set and no info at all on what they are. Almost as useless as using the v.1 manual.

I opened this thread to find out what alternatives there are, and so far itā€™s been very interesting.
Octane gpu render sounds interesting, I think Iā€™ll give it a try.

I didnā€™t know I could get a software license lock for vray, that could be very useful, Iā€™ll email vray support.
I wish I could use the dongle through a VPN, but we have a dynamic IP and thatā€™s not a viable option.

Cheers,
Guido

@idrive

I have done three courses on V-Ray for Rhino at lynda.com. Have you checked them out? They are the top three on this list. You can watch 10% of any course for free to check them out.

If youā€™re not a member of lynda.com, here is a 10-day pass. Besides my five courses on Rhino and V-Ray, lynda is the best online training on this planet; now with over 4,000 courses on every topic.

The V-Ray for Rhino forum doesnā€™t get much traffic. I have been helped on a couple of occasions but in many cases requests go unanswered and if you do get a response it can takes days. Not very helpful when you have a deadline approaching.

The V-Ray License Server works over LogMeIn Hamachi VPN. Hamachi will work with a Dynamic IP.

1 Like

MisterB, I share the same frustrations.
Even an explicit email to the chaos group support takes a minimum of 10 days to get answered, and most time it is not a resolutive answer.
Matt, we tried Hamachi but our firewall apparently is bullettproff even for it.

While the integration with Rhino is not the best, Keyshot is really easy to use and you get very good results very quickly.

Guido, your situation describes mine almost exactly. I can get a good quality render out of v-ray but I struggle to get great renders. The software is capable, Iā€™ve seen plenty of evidence of that, and Iā€™m prepared to put in the time to learn but finding the guidance is almost impossible.

Octane looks like an interesting alternative. I wonder if it comes with a manual.