Which format is compatible with Rhino?

1. The type of models from Fusions. Are they furniture and cars? Or is is it a building? Twinmotion treats each quite differently. So understanding that will impact the workflow.
  2. Twinmotion only deals with meshes. That is why FBX is the closest format to its ultimate final form in Twinmotion.
  3. What version of Rhino is being used in this case?
  4. Is the goal to update the whole Assembly all at once each time. Or are specific parts or sub-assemblies being updated so only a portion of the model is being updated. This complicates the process but might be possible.

Hi Travis -

I see that here, yes. When “Project 10 - 4STECH Office v4.STEP” is imported and exploded to layers, a top level Project 10 - 4STECH Office v4 layer is created and all other layers are created as sub-layers of this one. When “Project 10 - 4STECH Office v51.STEP” is then imported and exploded to layers, all this geometry goes under a Project 10 - 4STECH Office v51 layer.
That is probably how users wanted that to work when @pascal wrote that script.

That’s also correct. Pascal added a Purge feature after feedback from users after initial versions.
-wim

Hi @scottd

2/ [quote=“scottd, post:21, topic:104068”]
Twinmotion only deals with meshes. That is why FBX is the closest format to its ultimate final form in Twinmotion.
[/quote]
Does Rhino convert model to Mesh then link it to Twinmotion?

3/ I use Rhino 6

4/ I intent to update the whole Assembly all at once each time.
I think that model a room in Fusion 360 is strange thing. I just test the posibility. I like modeling interior in Rhino. And I design Furniture in Fusion 360 then bring it into Rhino.

Agreed, Fusion is a strange thing.

Yes, Rhino converts to a mesh when exporting to Twinmotion. Twinmotion is based on Unreal. The meshes allow the Game engines to optimize for speed, by completely re-orginizing the model.

Using Fusion for furniture > Rhino > Twinmotion Asset creation might work. But it is a very specific workflow. No extra objects, no placement beyond 0,0,0. An many other conditions.

So, first I would only export a single piece of furniture into Rhino. Or you can export the whole scene and use Rhino to clean up the model for export to Twinmotion. But then there are no automatic updates from Fusion > Rhino > Twinmotion.

Creating User Libraries in TwinMotion is teh way to create Furniture in Twinmotion:

or this:

Most of this is enabled by creating external FBX files that twinmotion can reference directly as a library object.

@travis.designer.vn - Are these modular pre-constructed units that are to be stacked? Is the internal contents of each modular container custom?

Totally agree with you. Import Furniture (FBX) direct into Twinmotion is better workflow because there are feature reload model in Twinmotion. can update design.
Thank @scottd @wim for your advices

Hi @scottd and @wim

1/I test Rhino 7, save as FBX file. then Import to Twinmotion. Test apply material in 1 object. Then come back Rhino 7 add more 1 object. Then save as same FBX file name (confirm replace).

I click reload. They will update model but Material which is use in Twinmotion, will be disappear.

2/ I test other way, I test Rhino 7, save as FBX file. then Import to Twinmotion. Test apply material in 1 object. Then come back Rhino 7 add more 1 object. Then save as FBX with other name v2
Select Reoloate fbx file. They still loss material which added in Twinmotion.
I did not confront this problem when I export FBX in Fusion 360. (save other name each version of fbx)

How can I fix it?

p/s Twinmotion have Direct link in Rhino 6 but there are no for Rhino 7. This is reason I save as FBX file.

Attached file:
attached file

Twinmotion may run in rhino 7 as is. Have you tried to load the rhp into rhino 7? You can go to options, plugins and install to find the rhp.

Hi @scottd
I did as you said.
I find location of twinmotion plugin as below:

Then I copy folder to folder plugin of Rhino 7
After that I install as you said. then add twinmotion toolbar.
When I click Sync there are error:

I try other way, drag file to rhino 7 screen. there are error:

Attached folder twinmotion plugin:
Twinmotion Direct Link 2020.rar (1.3 MB)
EXE file. 2020.1_DirectLink-Rhino_Twinmotion_R5-6_1.0.0.0_setup.rar (14.7 MB)

@travis.designer.vn - Have you had a chance to ask Twinmotion? I would as on the forum here: Yes, but not sure how it installs. Here is the forum the customer can ask: https://twinmotionhelp.epicgames.com/s/topic/0TO2L000000LQl6WAG?tabset-91389=2&language=en_US

The plugin is developed by them. Technically Rhino 6 plugins should load in Rhino 7, but in this case it is obviously different. We are happy to help one of their developers if they get hung up on this.

Thank @scottd and @John_Brock
I should wait them feedback in Twinmotion forum.

I can also see if I can ask around with my contacts if you do not get a response after a day or two. But I should only do that if they are paying attention to the normal channels.