Which CPU and GPU for 3d mesh scan data in Rhino 7?

I guess that the huge waiting, slowdown and crashed are caused by the inclusion of thousands of tiny leftovers consisting just one or several polygons each. Once I delete these (if I’m lucky to open the model in the first hand), the moving and rotating becomes much easier and with less waiting. But the main problem is that even a single mesh object with more than 1-2 million polygons cause huge memory leakage and every operation increases the used memory tremendously. This is why I’m forced to save, close Rhino and sun Rhino again every 1 or 2 operations while working with large meshes. Rhino is not optimized to maintain the usage or RAM, clear the unnecessary cache and will fill it forever, until it crashes.

@Rhino_Bulgaria I just experimented with the large set of meshes I used above, and memory usage by Rhino increases with repeated operations and then levels off.

My guess is the increase in memory usage is caused by how Undo works in Rhino. Undo does not cause Rhino to do a reverse operation to back up. Instead Rhino stores sufficient information about the state of objects after each operation so that a previous state of the objects can be restored by Undo. This obviously requires memory and the maximum amount of memory which Undo should use is set in Options > Rhino options > General > Undo Max memory usage.

Reducing the Undo Max memory usage reduces the amount of memory increase by repeated operations. The trade-off is few operations can be undone.

I played with various settings for the memory used by Undo, but none of them appears to be a solution to the crashes. It would be great if the developers take this seriously and add an option to either:
a) exclude selected objects (maybe some setting in the Properties panel) from the Undo stack at the cost of inability to restore their previous state;
b) or turn off Undo recording for meshes with a user-set amount of polygons (above 100 000 or 1 000 000).

My proposal above to skip the import of certain meshes based on number of polygons or size will also help to reduce the unwanted crashes of Rhino and permanent freezing of Windows.

1 Like

Should I create a dedicated topic for this particular feature request (posts #13 and #23), or leaving it in this topic is enough for the developers to consider whether to add it to the YouTrack? Just want to make sure that this serious problem of Rhino with crashes while importing or moving STL mesh objects will not be neglected.

1 Like

Please do. This is important.

// Rolf

1 Like