When will Rhino support metal? V8

Hi Steve

When I open an empty file and rotate this, nothing happens, Rhino runs as normal.
When I then create just a single box and rotate this a lot, nothing happens. Rhino runs as normal.

When I open that big file again, this time my Macbook crashed completely and rebooted.

So the issue seems file specific. Would it be possible to send us this file so we can try to repeat the crash on one of our computers?

Unfortunately not - it’s confidential information in there and I can’t send it.

I am not sure if there is another way how I can give you information without sending the file?

Hi Chris -

Probably not. I also don’t see any crash reports from you. When Rhino (and not the entire machine) crashes, does a crash reporter pop up?

Does that mean that you have 3 screens? With only 1.5 GB of VRAM, even running one screen would be problematic for running Rhino 7 or Rhino 8. Do things improve if you disconnect all but one screen?
-wim

Blender 3.5 (upcoming March '23) will be a significant move to native “Metal” support for Blender viewports on Apple Silicon. After this version is released, tested, and stable, we might guess that some of this development work might be available to the Rhinoceros team before Rhino 8 is released.

Isn’t the development post (from the website) just about Blender GUI and EEVEE. As I read it I understand that this does not affect the cycles engine who is implemented in Rhino.

Hopefully there are a lot other improvements for the cycles engine who can implemented in Rhino.

Cycles in Blender already has a Metal backend and it should end up in Rhino at some point as well.

The blogpost indeed is about the GUI, essentially similar to Rhino viewport drawing, which is also being worked on to move to Metal on MacOS and iOS.

1 Like

I am sorry that I never came back to you, @wim .
There was just always something else to do and then I forgot, to be honest.

I just downloaded the newest RhinoWIP version opened the same heavy Rhino model with my 3 screens setup (2x external and 1x macbook screen) and with a single screen (Macbook screen).

I must say that the performance is relatively similar. I understand that simply the small VRAM is the bottle neck.

But the topic was about RhinoWIP crashing and I can confirm that I played around with it a lot and that RhinoWIP didn’t crash once, not with a single or with 3 screens.

I hope that information is helpful for you.

KR, Chris

Maybe a bit more information:
Using (rotating) the same RhinoModel on Rhino7 is way better performing.

Thanks for that update, Chris!

The WIP of this week is the first one where the Metal display pipeline is turned on to be the default display pipeline for all users. This means that we now have pretty much all display features working in Metal and that we can now start looking into optimizations.
-wim

2 Likes