What's the most basic Rhino feature you could live without?

I use project all the time

1 Like

It would be very nice to be able to toggle layouts off, I never ruse these and that bar is an incredibly inefficient use of real estate.

This is possible How to get viewport tabs and layouts back?

1 Like

Yes, if button addition, deletion, and placement were done w/ simple add and delete buttons and arrow keys to move them it would be amazing.

The current method of dragging while using various combinations of modifier keys is a continuing nightmare.

IMHO this entire thread would be moot if the above most basic UI modification functionality was not entirely frustrating and tedious.

The work environment editor panel is just ok but managing and propagating the templates to new instances and machines has never worked well for me- I would have to really look again to see the reasons why, but if I recall the reasons were numerous. I recall the command line work being a pain.

A more straight forward workplace selector, analogous to the units/dimension style selection available in the “new” dialogue tab would be amazing- I would be able to develop my own workspace template environments- a workplace for laser file editing, a workplace for photogrammetry, a workplace for architectural site development, a workplace for heavy surfacing… Of course, the tab could be pre-populated by McNeel and then added too just like the existing file template tab is pre-populated and then have new ones added to by the user.

I do like the new focus tabs above the workspaceto what I asked for above. I think it would be better if they controlled the side and top bars rather than just the top: this would be the equivalent of changing the entire environment for me.

**Edit- I just noticed that the Curves tab shows that it is indeed possible to change the tab on the left as well! Next to find out: Can I edit these tabs myself and have them reliably propagate to new instances ??

However, the above thoughts are still ck-blocked by the tediously cludgey way of achieving the empirical task of adding, deleting and especially moving buttons. Sure, I’ve made do for the last 20 years, but I’ve never liked it- I’m sure something better can be implemented by now. Even to just be able to use arrow keys to move a button in a bar after a menu-pulldown click would be awesome.

Then the UI would be easily modifiable by the user, without getting commands deleted by some short sighted individuals who dare make assumptions about how the rest of us structure or should structure our work flows.

Thank you to the McNeel team who has solicited all this criticism, you are brave! :))

1 Like

That’s great, how did I not find that lol, thank you.

One thing I always wondered- why is it they appear over the object snaps rather than to the right of them? On anything other than the tiniest of monitors there would be room for more than a half dozen layout tabs to the right of the object snaps, and it would give the entire line of real estate back with zero penalty!

Well, I wouldn’t call this a nightmare exactly… Various modifier keys as well as left and right click functions are pretty standard in Rhino. I’ve been modifying my workspace since like Rhino 1.1 and I don’t think the key/mouse combinations for moving/editing/copying/deleteing buttons are nightmarish - with a couple of notable exceptions.

I do agree that moving buttons is a nightmare - not because of the key combination required to do so, but rather the extreme difficulty in dropping them into the right spot. It usually takes me several tries.

The other nightmarish aspect of button editing is when one has a customized workspace where one has copied buttons and modified what is underneath, that the tooltips go crazy. I get tooltips where there should be none, and on top of that in some other language other than English. I can delete them and they come back every time a new SR is installed. Reported years ago while V7 was still in Beta, it’s still there.

I can only hope that the complete revision of the system for V8 will fix that. Maybe they will also throw out the workspace editor, which is really one thing I can live without - IMO it’s totally useless in its current form, due to its confusing complexity for doing what should be a fairly simple task.

1 Like

Hello - you can move both to where ever you like them - I put OSnaps to the right of the command line and vp tabs to the right of the viewports. (ViewortTabs command)

-Pascal

1 Like

Yes this is core problem, you nailed it!

For me, if these things were easy to relocate, it would make editing my work environment a joy. As it is, it is a ridiculous time sink.

1 Like

I use grid snap all the time. As soon as you move something without grid snap, you cannot build other objects to precisely fit with it unless you snap everything to it. (Or measure positions and do the math, either laboriously by hand or with code.)

Can I use hotkeys to switch between these new custom workspace layouts? That would be pretty great actually.

Having the F1 key trigger help. Like launch the browser, etc… NOBODY does this (intentionally) since about 1992. AutoCAD also makes it semi-impossible to fully override this feature. I don’t know how but they’ve done it. I overwrite it AND undefine it.

Of course you can override it in Rhino (I think, I hope). But why even have it that way from the start.

I’m seeing lots of hate for the UI but it is what it is… and it’s awesome. The ability to customize the UI is unmatched. Creating your own custom UI (yes with the small icons) and tweaking it to your preferences is where the power lies. For comparison, Revit’s UI is geared mainly towards beginners and is very rigid. You can only really edit it with heavy customization. The ribbon system is much slower than small icons, the former being, again, geared towards beginners. “But Revit has shortcuts”. It does and they’re terrible.

2 Likes

Funny, I just discovered gumball… find it very useful.

1 Like

Hello- yes, when it is all ready in the WIP, that should be possible.

-Pascal

2 Likes

Suppose you can remove stuff to clean up the UI and to make it more user friendly. However, as I read through the comments here it is clear that some people are using some tools that others find dispensable.
Some new features in Rhino 7 makes it easier to do some tasks in a new way making old surface creation and editing tools almost obsolete.
My suggestion would be to remove such tools in the toolbars, but keep them available in the commands. ( don’t know if that is possible)
One tool I think that becomes completely obsolete is “ place bitmap”
The new way is to work with a picture that is visible in your perspective view.
There are some tools that in 20 years of using Rhino, I never used. Like in the boolean toolbar I tend to only use boolean difference and boolean unify. The rest of all those boolean tools I never found the need for. But I might be wrong-there might be other users that are using all of them?

1 Like

Guess I’m nobody then… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I use F1 all the time when I need to connect to the Help to check the documentation. Also, very handy when I don’t remember the localized version of the command, if I run the English (underscore) version of the command and while in it hit F1, it opens the Help for the command - in the localized language, giving me the command name I need. I don’t have the command help open continuously in a panel because I hate having that change every time I run a command.

Obviously you can assign _Help to another key or click the :question: toolbar button if you want.

2 Likes

Does Rhino collect statistics regarding how often a feature/UI/command is used?

Hi Victor -

No, but you can do that yourself with the CommandTracker plug-in:

-wim

1 Like

Never been able to understand why people ask to remove commands and don’t simply avoid using them … :confused:
Only problem I can think of is that unused command might make Rhino suggest a higher number of commands while we type something into the command area …

I like Gustavo’s idea about disabling commands.
I think it makes much more sense than asking to remove something …

The graphic interface is a different matter. We can customize it as we like.
No need to remove commands, just delete the buttons.
… Still, custumizing it might (should ? :wink: ) be way easier, I fully agree on that.

I agree with several things already said here :

5 Likes

Buttons. Haven’t used them in 22 years of rhino-ing

1 Like

I changed the F1-Button to “GridSnap” within Rhino. I use this command hundreds of thousand times a day. As well as I changed “F2” to “ortho” and “F3” for “Object-snap” (’_DisableOsnap _Toggle). I just can’t live without that modifications, …