What's the deal with Bifocals for GH in Rhino 6, I can't get it to work?

Same for any software, or pretty much anything :man_shrugging: But its worth the effort!

I’ve managed to get by for ~7 years without GH icons and have no intention of learning them now.

Similarly say multitudes in both camps here, or any number of other tribal conflicts, from software to politics to war :wink:

I do agree partly in that it would be easier if tutorial vids without bifocals on had the command abbreviations rather than the icons. Even though they are just abbreviations and not the full command names, at least you have something to google, tough to google an icon, or maybe it’s not, could be an app that does reverse image search, but I digress.

As for clutter with bifocals, I imagine as my GH-foo approaches the level of my Solidworks or back in the day Autocad, I may get annoyed by the bifocals labels, but easy enough to toggle it to disabled, no?

For me, my biggest complaint would be the helps and tuts that have the input/output labels hidden, that one amazes me that people don’t figure out how much harder it is to learn from them that way.

No, Bifocals creates a transparent group around each component with a label added. They can be removed one by one (using ‘Ungroup’) but not simply all toggled off.

Interesting, ok I take that small portion back :)) I looked quickly, surprised not finding an option to toggle group labels to not displayed, maybe I’m just missing it or not.

With a tiny bit of trying, here’s an easy solution. Disable Bifocals.gh (5.2 KB)

Your code to disable Bifocals requires that Bifocals be installed first. :rofl:

missing

This is plain c# de-bifocal.gh (4.6 KB)

2 Likes

Oh the humanity! :wink:

After teaching for some time introduction to GH i have seen that the best method for students is a combination of icons + bifocals, that is my own experience on entry level students, now i’m starting to use https://www.food4rhino.com/app/showcasetools and my students love the plug-in.

I’m from the old school of pure command autocad and even in gh i don’t use the panel, just type directly the commands but for teaching is another history…

3 Likes

Anywhere I teach I literally get crucified if I forget to put Bifocals on with icon mode (no one asks for text mode). And this is from all different sources and sets of students. Tells me pretty obviously what the general preference is for educational purposes. (I’ve never been asked to use draw full names on inputs / outputs, thankfully, because it just makes everything huge :smiley: )

“Literally” crucified? That’s harsh.

So beginners believe that icons are useless without text labels. I agree.

We are talking like bombardment of “turn on the bifocals” messages in zoom until I realize I have it off haha. But usually they want the icon mode + bifocals, not text mode, from my experience.

Sunglasses.gha (10 KB)

6 Likes

This is definitively a better alternative than bifocals! (imho)
Well done!

thoughts:

• not every object get a name on top
  • could be cool to have variable font size
  • I’d personally like to have an option to see “short names” instead (for faster search query of students)

But as simple as it is now it’s already perfect!
Should be a built-in option in grasshopper!

I’m working on a filter right now.

Done.

Do you mean to choose to display the nickname instead? Ok.

1 Like

As option.
Nicknames very often are the shortest search query to find the component.
But many people probably prefer full names.

Works for me but looks the same as what you posted three hours ago?
I restarted Rhino but do I need to reboot?

1 Like

You don’t have any options in the menu?

Sorry, this is the last version:
Sunglasses.gha (17.5 KB)

1 Like