What setting control darkness of planar surface facing me after being boolean differenced?

Hi, V5

I had gone to properties and set mesh 0.65 from 0.8 and angle .35 from 0 to get smooth curves of surface around a small radiused area, 3 facets became smooth, however it took 5 mins to save and timer never went, so hit escape key a few times and somehow got out of this pickle.
Edit undo doc properties, went back there yet values had not changed, so altered them myself.
looked at my boolean differenced surfaces and they are far lighter than I remember them .

I need them darker as before, what settings can I alter ?

I did try closing down the file and relaunching but no difference.

Steve

Maybe you have surface normals reversed.
You can use the DIR command to inspect them and flip them if needed.

It’s impossible to know for sure without a representative file and knowing what you think it should look like.

Hi, Surface normals dir is outwards so correct.
I have visited an earlier file with same objects and created blocks and coloured them, the side facing ‘me’ looks darker but capturing both as a screen print topshop they match. Its the contrast to the darker interiors that makes them look pale.

Is there a control or setting that will darken that planar face of objects in shaded mode ?

Steve

Steve -

Without a file, it’s hard to understand what you mean. Possibly, there are lighting settings in the display mode that you could change.

But, based on recent history, do you really want to use an unknown amount of time (hours, weeks, months?) experimenting with features that you have never used before?
-wim

Hi
I have just discovered why it seemed different, because it is.
I have just viewed it in layout mode and see this.

Now why is layout delivering different to model, I havent altered the colours in the layout or
detail mode at all.

upper one is in model normal mode.

To test, create a cube in Front view, capture screen, then view that same front view in layout, capture screen.

Is it my PC or does yours do same ?

I much bigger problem, I see layout is giving reflections as if those curved surfaces inside a cylinder are external surfaces !
Its killed the correct effect of an overhang, they are now external surfaces one would think. Its not apparent at all this is a section through a cylinder.
Thats messed up the section view and interpretation of it, how do I fix that ?

Perhaps LAYOUT would make the bit that was removed look ‘internal’ !

Steve

I don’t know what you expect anyone to figure out without a file, there is no sense to anything you’re talking about without it.

ok,
I am not sending 5 months work out, 70mb, even to the Queen, so I have had to recreate this, another hour gone, 3am now beckons.
I manage to recreate the effects.
see how layout makes the underhang dark shadowy interior of the cut cylinder appear to be external shapes, completely wrecking the sectioned cylinder effect whilst model mode gets it correct.

see how layout has darkened the planar surfaces.

HOW DOES ONE ALTER THE LIGHT SOURCE IN LAYOUT AS UNLIKE SAME VIEW IN MODEL MODE THE LIGHT SOURCE IS COMING FROM LOWER DOWN AND SHINING UPWARDS INTO THE CYLINDER LIGHTING THE UNDERSIDES UP INSIDE.
In normal model mode we have the light source as mother nature intended ! Up above shining down, and without knowing that Layout has other ideas on this, our brains think the shapes are different to what they truly are. Why is Layout different on light sources, a bug ?

As one pans the object down and up the reflections change. go upwards and they get less, in my true 70Mb file it leaves me no room for my dimensions above the item by the time I have it with no reflections on the 4th item in from the left, so will have to accept part loss, open it in pshop and edit it then reprint to pdf.

whats it like in V6 and 7 ? does this file do the same ?

file attached
Layout reflections denote external curved surface yet inside.3dm (875.6 KB)

Steve

Steve -
Thanks for the file.

I see the same on Rhino 5 here.

This is what I get in Rhino 7:

-wim

If thats in the same position then V7 has solved it.

Steve