What rhino commands do you use on a regular basis and think others don't know about?

@runxel, @atair,
you can use -Fullscreen (with dash before command) to define what elements stay visible. The setting is remembered.

–jarek

3 Likes

Another one I use sometimes for better viewing. GradientView

2 Likes

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. The best way to find your own treasure is to read Rhino documentation.

2 Likes

witty proverbs for every occasion… :grinning:

PopUpPopular is interesting if you want to see what commands you have used most over a modelling session, good for deciding which commands to add a custom toolbar or multi button mouse :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Referencing and attaching another project file in whilst working on a project is also handy.
Easily, right in the layers tab and select attach model. I can also switch between the projects.

Thanks for the tip about Infinite Plane in v6, Pascal. I hadn’t discovered that one. Once I’d worked out how to use it (as input in the Intersect Groups command rather than the IP command itself) I can see how it replaces your Intersect Plane script. I think I’ll keep my shortcut though, old habits are hard to break!

Most of the stuff I use has already been thrown out here in one post or another, but I would just like to mention the selection tools. Rhino has an incredible set of selection possibilities - object type, color, etc. -which make it easy to find and work on collections of diverse objects. Also, even more granular selection tools can be easily scripted (I have many) such as curves by length, surfaces by area/volume, etc.

3 Likes

I use grouped objects a lot, at one time I used to ungroup when needing to change a single object within that group, then I discovered that you can Ctr+Shift and Click to select a single object within a group, it was a great day when I discovered this :smile:

8 Likes

It’s not a command but a setting instead and I find it quite useful. I go to “Rhino options > General > Default surface isocurve density > Show surface isocurves” and then I remove the check mark to turn off the isocurve display. This makes the surfaces much cleaner to look at. Another way to play with the usocurve visibiliy is to make a custom (or modify an existing) display mode and set different value for the isocurve from “Rhino options > View > Display modes > “Name of the display mode” > Visibility > Show isocurves (turn on or off)”. From there, you have additional settings for the isocurve rendering in “Rhino options > View > Display modes > “Name of the display mode” > Objects > Surfaces > Surface isocurve settings”.

PS: It would be nice if there was also an option for custom isocurve density for each display mode, but maybe that’s something reserved for Rhino 7? :slight_smile:

You can in rhino5 & 6?

Yes, but not custom density per display mode.

@Rhino_Bulgaria
I don’t know, do we really need another option there?
You can set the density with a macro, and so you could make a button or two to change it on the fly:

'-_Properties Object IsocurveDensity 5 enter enter

2 Likes

I tried this macro and it seems to work with the selected object only, i.e. it won’t let me to quickly check multiple objects in the scene unless I select all of them before I run the macro. But even then it’s still handy and I will definitely make use of it. I already made it as a button with settings for isocurve density of 0 and 4. Thanks!

Tip 1. If you use a pipe object to split surfaces (I often use it instead of “Fillet edge” or “Blend edge” to build a smoother, controllable profile blend surface), sometimes its seam will cross the seam of the surface(s) that you try to split and Rhino will fail to do that. To solve the issue, simply relocate the pipe’s seam with the “Adjust closed surface seam” command (! _SrfSeam). If the pipe is a polysurface, you have to extract it first with the “Extract surface” command (! _ExtractSrf).

Tip 2. Rhino 4 and Rhino 5 also had a problem with the render mesh of revolved surfaces or extruded circles, such like car rims etc where their mesh was not following the meshing algorithm of the program and produced large areas of straight polygons. That’s where the surface degree is 2 in the U or V direction, and 1 or 3 in the other one. Rhino 6’s meshing of revolved surfaces is better, but still fails sometimes, especially with mirrored car rims. This issue also could be solved by relocating the seam of the revolved surface and then moving it back to the original location. If Rhino adds an extra knot, remove it with “Remove knot” command. Ideal would be to temporarily relocate the seam at 90 degrees from the original location using the snap tools and snap to “Point” or “Quad”. This usually prevents the creation of unwanted extra knots.

2 Likes

Of course, most other design software that I’ve used uses the right mouse click for a pop-up contextual menu. Potato, potato, tomato, tomato!

Hello - it would be helpful to have examples of this problem, if you run into it again - to me your workaround seems… unfortunate…

-Pascal

Sure, when I run into this issue again I will upload the 3d model. It happens mostly when a revolved surface is being trimmed by other surfaces, such like rim spokes.

From time to time I actually use the ShowZBuffer command for generating fast depth maps without rendering, or for Photoshop-tweaking a scene.

1 Like

When using the Gumball for rotating of objects, having the Grid Snap “on” will trigger snappy rotation by 5 degrees. Turning off the Grid Snap (either from the status bar at the bottom of the screen or by pressing the F9 key) will allow a free rotation at any degree.

A simple yet detailed overview of the Gumball handle is shown on this video:

1 Like

I’m really interested in how you did this. I have a MX Master 2, and have Logitech Options installed. I have explored the settings but wasn’t able to match the isolate command to mouse gestures. How did you do it? Do I need to create a one letter alias in Rhino and then assign that letter to the mouse? How do I get it to press “enter” after the one letter alias has been entered?