What rhino commands do you use on a regular basis and think others don't know about?

(John Brock) #21

A couple more that newer users don’t generally find on their own are:

Pressing and holding Shift, to reverse the effect of their current Ortho setting.
If Ortho is on, Shift suspends it.
If Ortho is off, Shift activates it,

Pressing a holding Alt suspends any persistent Osnaps without unchecking them.

CullControlPolygon
Elmo :slight_smile:

Elmo still works BTW

For changing the defaults of commands I use “Run these commands every time Rhino starts:” (as seen in Pascal’s image above) to set
CurveBoolean: DeleteInput=All
ExtrudeCrv: Solid=Yes DeleteInput=Yes

(John Brock) #25

SolidPtOn for polysurface point editing

yes I use this all the time… is there a Mac equivalent?

(Pascal Golay) #27

Hi Gijs - that works on Mac here (SolidPtOn)

-Pascal

I replied to another one: right mouse clicking to disable all the other snaps

(John Brock) #29

Not yet. It’s not in the V6 WIP either.
I know it’s on the list, but it may not be possible because of how the Mac U/I controls work.
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-37284

SelectionFilter

that’s a pity, as a workaround, is there a way to script it to turn all off?

I just saw the you track: so why not have both: the clear all AND the magic

(John Brock) #32

Options > View; Linked viewports
Options > Modeling Aids; Universal construction planes

One other thing that’s not directly obvious: when making a blendcrv, and dragging the start points of the blend to other parts on the curve, the ‘handles’ don’t scale with it. This can be ‘reset’ by clicking again on the position/tangency/curvature buttons in the dialog

one set of aliases I made I often use to set points (or other objects) in one direction only without having the dialog:

sx > -setpt x=yes y=no z=no
sy > -setpt y=yes x=no z=no
sz > -setpt z=yes x=no y=no

notice the yes comes first, otherwise it can happen that it fails, if the others were off, because there always needs to be at least one on

(Michael Pryor) #35

Use Shift+Ctrl+Left click to select the faces or edges of polysurfaces. (You can then use the gumball to move/scale/rotate the selection)

Drag the gumball arrow in a direction with something selected, hold ctrl down then let go of the arrow. This will extrude rather than move.

Alt+drag gumball arrow to make a copy.

Shift+drag gumball scale box to scale in all directions.

Many people seem to overlook the shell command which let’s you quickly thicken some geometry.

Scrolling the middle mouse button when the mouse is over the viewport names at the bottom of Rhino will let you quickly switch between viewports.

SelectionFilter command is my favorite dockable menu which let’s you omit whatever geometry types you want from being selected (I personally think it should be out and docked in Rhino by default, many don’t know about it)

Turntable command :upside_down_face:

_MergeSrf command to join surfaces together without making a polysurface (makes a new single surface, even if surfaces are not co-planar)

MergeAllFaces command to turn coplanar polysurface faces into one face.

-ScreenCaptureToFile command for taking high res screenshots.

The cool morph commands like FlowAlongSurface, Sporph, Splop.

You can use FlowAlongSurface on control points and cage edit points too.

(Primož) #36

Thank you so much! Is there a way to extrude a closed solid from a closed curve with ctrl-drag?

(Michael Pryor) #37

I’m not sure I understand exactly. Do you have some screenshot?

(Primož) #38

(Michael Pryor) #39

You could make that a surface first, then use the gumball extrude.

(Primož) #40

Sure. I just thought there is a way of changing the drag extrude to Solid=Yes in the settings or something.