What method to see name of .obj after import?

Hi,
V5
If I click on the .obj I had imported a year ago, where can I view the file name of the .obj ?

Cheers

Steve

You can’t. Rhino has no idea where that imported object came from. All you can see is if the object itself has a name, which in all likelihood is not related to the original file name.

Hi,
oh dear, I would say then that when importing an .obj one needs to afterwards ensure the entire path to the file and the file name itself is copied to …

a note attached to the object
or
a text block grouped to the object
or ???

what is best and is there a note command to attach notes to objects and how are these known about as one doesnt want text visible always.

meanwhile if I import the obj again, or what I think was the obj
and searching my .obj’s I should see some contenders,
how best to see if its that one, polycount I presume.

Cheers

Steve

Yes, it is perhaps possible to store the file path as user data on the object. But you would need a special scripted .obj importer that is programmed to do that. Afterwards you could read that info directly in the file via the Attribute User Text panel (not in V5).

1 Like

Hi,
Is there a note command that can be used on objects, not just .obj but any object ?
that can be called up if required. ?
Maybe when one clicks an object some indication occurs it has a note attached, then one runs a command to reveal the note ?

I have imported an .obj and clicked details, and compared the polygons and vertices numbers and they match, so I have found the .obj I used.

Now I wish to copy the gile path and file name into a note or something, and attach that.

perhaps otherwise a text block grouped to it and layer turned off.

Cheers

Steve