What method best to join surfaces to allow filletSrf?

Hi,
V5

I recall variableFilletSrf as well as just Fillet require single surface either side of the fillet.
Now as its taken a few surfaces in order to make this object, I have three surfaces in this area I have joined using JOIN command.

What command should be used to join surfaces together to facilitate filletSrf ?

as one can see in jpg fillet sees past my joining and sees the surface as if unjoined. I pick my curved surface and only the rear part is selected yet its all been joined and the planar face is a separate surface unjoined as yet.

This variable fillet has to go all the way around and along the underside ?

It is impossible to make this in one surface, subject of another thread where my approach of two surfaces was turned into 6 plus the edges. There will be times in life when one surface cant be used.

Steve

Have you tried _FilletEdge for polysurfaces.

Mark

Hi,
That is for solids though.
This is not a solid, a long way to go yet before finished, I need this there now.
Thanks for the thought.
VariableFilletSrf is what I need to run but cannot.

maybe I should clone this, solid that up, variableFilletEdge that, explode it then copy that fillet over to my surfaces, trim them with it…

oh oh trim…try not to I am told :frowning: not a good tool, try to avoid except for small parts.

Steve

It works on any polysurface open or closed, have you tried it. Can you upload the part.

Mark

That statement makes no sense to me
If the surfaces are going to be filleted they will end up being trimmed surfaces.
There is nothing to be gained by avoiding trimmed surfaces when you are going to rounding the edges where surfaces meet with fillets .

Filletsrf and variablefilletsrf don’t care whether surfaces are joined. Those
commands require picking 2 surfaces. Filletsrf doesn’t need 2 surfaces that intersect each other.

Filletedge requires joined surfaces. The edge that connects two surfaces is used as a proxy for picking the surfaces that gets filleted. This picking algorthm fails in most situations where the surface configuration is more complicated than a simple box.

Hi,
Hughes_Tooling
here is the item and the edge for variable filleting indicated with radii that must exist at the points indicated.
Leading edge no data on that so whatever it takes nearest to last indicated which was 7mm.

Jim,
I have been told recently to try and keep trims small.

Stratosfear…Trimmed surfaces are a last resort. You should try to keep them small.

full thread:-

I know the fillet srf commands can be on joined or unjoined.
It just wont work along an edge which has two surfaces making that edge. as per attached.
Construction of which was following stratosfear method and Pascal has dabbled with it.
I started this item 2 weeks ago then found I couldnt fillet it, then Stratosfear re-approached it with 4 edge method he adopts. It is now with CurvGraph ok all curves and matching CVs. unless I have missed something. I have diagonally trimmed it (no other choice) now for the fillet attempt and yet again hit the filletSrf issue.
SurfacesForFilletEdge.3dm (294.4 KB)
Steve

Here is how I would make the fillets. The variable part of the fillet was created using loft after i created 3 of the 4 profiles using filletsrf and extractIsocrv… I then added a few additional knots and matched the fillet to the base surfaces.

SurfacesForFilletEdgeX.3dm (180.9 KB)

If you are going to make fillets in Rhino you will have to learn to make them manually because filletedge doesn’t work if your model is much more complicated than a simple box.

Jim, Gosh…now that is lovely.

How long did it take you to do that ?
I need to try and understand and visualise what you did.

I can the first part, then

not getting this part though.

I dont suppose you do a jing video or whatever, Jing video at 5mins free version might not last long enough for a screen capture of the process ? unless done in parts.
I love videos…actually other folk might benefit here.

I couldnt find a video on workarounds for filletSrf failure.

if that tool worked across joined surfaces, as one would expect, it would be great. Trust me to be faced with having to construct it all manually.

That tells me what my gut feeling was, darn it :frowning:
Is this a weak point in rhino, as life doesnt feature simple shapes. not unless you are only able to mutter ga ga goo goo and shake a rattle :smile:

Its such a useful tool the video tutorials say, then we see only filletEdge.

Steve