What is your biggest development barrier?

I think getting edit and continue working is your best bet here.

By some reason I finally started digging into programming to speed up the workflow. There are many barrier on the way of the first steps.

The best way would be to provide simple sample plugins to beginners . First, to estimation what is the most common area that people are working on and what type of information thay need to start according to industry sectors etc.

I would found useful to have a small and primitive plugin that absolutly good for nothing but to learn basic steps by modifying a simple cube.

At the moment I am wondering how to create a user interface, a scroll down list of materials and hatches and to extract the information from the material table. I could imagine a small sample script for that.

One small plugin to learn something every month could be issued by Mcneel like a magazine or blog. One small bit of information from Rhino Common focus on specific library class each month than users can asks after. It could be part of the forum under a different #hashtag like Developer Tutorial.

Regarding developing time I would also consider Python scripting with Rhino Common.

I really want to get more info about Tables and Event handles, how to implement them.

1 Like

Have you visited the dev page? http://developer.rhino3d.com/

1 Like

Like this? https://github.com/mcneel/rhino-developer-samples/

1 Like

Exactly, with more explanation like a 3d modelling tutorial in the forum, so people can comment.

The original RhinoScript 101 by @DavidRutten was a fantastic primer that took me from no scripting experience to being able to do quite advanced stuff in relatively short time. Its “translation” to Python is also a great start to “convert” or be able to work with RhinoscriptSyntax in Python.

From there, jump to RhinoCommon via Python seems to me more demanding. I know there is a lot of resources or samples available, plus indispensable help from this community, but I would find it very useful if a similar Primer for RhinoCommon was created. Either based on the previous two, or a new one that is most relevant. Including dealing with events, display conduits etc.

The documentation of RhinoCommon online seems to be improving a bit and growing, but with lacking some basic concepts most of the times I find it hard to follow or come up with the “expamples of use” for each method.

Hope the RhinoCommon with Python Primer could be considered in future.

–jarek

1 Like

I’m Japanse.
I studying C#.
I am having a lot of trouble.

1. I like C# so much. but sometimes it is very difficult for me.
  2. I am troubled by the fact that SDK and API are English only… Please support Multlanguage

As a C# senior developer, the biggest barrier is definitively the lack of documentations and samples!
Sad to see that is the same old opinion.
Because of this, thanks again to all the people that solve problems in this forum! :slight_smile:

@software_comas, did you check the samples repository I linked to earlier in this thread?

Or were those not giving you the examples you were looking for?

That said, more and better documentation is always good to have.

Not usually, sorry. :-/

Yes!

I guess for me sometimes it is lack of communication of some new things that were added to help or increase functionality.
Often I’ll stumble on them (“Hey, there’s a new ViewCaptureClass”. Bet could find where I could pass that to get some of options wanted in past). Yep, hey, that works.
and the still get,set on properties that always don’t really ‘set’. And I’m OK and understand why maybe don’t want 10 props of layers set in row and it’s just from working in common for awhile I always look to see if there’s a commitchange in there somewhere.
Sure I have few more when I stop to think about them.
I will say, having worked with many companies and their SDK’s over the years, McNeel is heads and shoulders above them all in terms of back and forth with users wanting to use it.

Most changes to RhinoCommon are logged in the service release notes. But I agree we to a better job of announcing new stuff.

– Dale

Is it possible to share this link https://github.com/mcneel/rhino-developer-samples/ on https://developer.rhino3d.com/ or on the samples https://developer.rhino3d.com/samples/ page?

Done.

https://developer.rhino3d.com/samples/

– Dale

Thanks Dale,

I think the overall workflow is the biggest barrier and here my thoughts on that:

GH C# is the most important tool for me, as I can iterate in realtime 90% of what a c# plugin could do. It should get a lot of attention for the next versions:

• better code editor, autocomplete,

• adding namespaces, external dependencies

• classes and data across nodes!

• and much more :slight_smile:

We all lived with the separation of high-level scripting and low-level plugins for 30 years and I would argue this times are over since a few years. Rhino already made the transition with the excellent Grasshopper and its C# / python capabilities. But this seems more a fortunate side product of the Rhino / GH mix, than a proper commitment to the idea.

I think Rhino could ‘borrow’ some concepts from Unity, which at the moment is (imho) the most advanced software in this regards.

My ‘ideal’ rhino dev environment would be where everything is modular and exposed to be edited while running (like Unity). Especially the currently hard / impossible to access parts like:

• Viewport, custom shaders, fully exposed drawing pipeline (compute shaders, buffers etc)

• Custom Objects. I found very little documentation on that. E.g. T-Splines has their own object type, but even that seems a bit buggy / workaroundish… Would be nice to have a better foundation for that.

• Extending the Gui. Custom panels / tabs - also in realtime, no visual studio panel editors etc.

Hi @jack3,

I’m not sure any of us understand. What does this mean?

– Dale

I agree with You
Vittorio

adding namespaces, external dependencies

Gh1 in R6 lets you add namespaces, in case you didn’t know.

nice! haven’t seen that