What is the function of Name in DirectShape

It defines the name for the DirectShape instance. But this information is not visible in Revit UI.

1 Like

got. thank u

If it could be identified in Revit, it would be of much greater value. For example, to count quantities through a detailed list

You can query view objects and sort by the Name assigned to get the quantities, its not going to be available in the standard UI, except if you hover over the element.

hovering over the element in Revit shows the name

1 Like

got .thank u

wooooooo , great ! but how to select all the elements of this name? :thinking:

With the Directshapes you will need to get the Elements by Category and Text Match to the Element Name

1 Like

It worked! Thank you verymuch!You are amazing!I would also like to ask if there is any way to automatically mark these directshape. Like my screenshot.

Dimensions? No not at this time.

Think of how this needs to be done programmatically, it requires a lot of particular variables. There will be dimension components eventually but they will require unique setups in Grasshopper with each condition.

Sounds complicated. Can I import the existing dimensions in rhino into revit? How to do it? :thinking:

The easiest way to do dimensioning is to place Families instead of Direct Shapes. In a family you can set the reference planes to easily dimension to. That way back in the project you can just boink, boink, boink, without having to tab into a particular solid reference in a direct shape.

Hello,

Does placing families instead of direct shapes make the Revit model heavier?

Or does it depend on the type of geometry you’re working with?

Dan

Sorry, my revit and programming level are poor. Could you tell me more about how to use families to quickly dimension? :see_no_evil:

Yes, 10,000 direct shapes is going to be more than a single generic model of the same geometry 10,000 times & Geometry is always something to consider if you looking for optimal file size and performance.

Here’s what you need to know…