What is best method show only wireframe fwd of a certain point

Hi,
V5
Wireframe so as to position a pictureFrame, but its a myriad of lines etc in ‘right’ view, and I only need to be using that from the front end of my object. Right view being the front of what is a long item.

What is best method to show only wireframe from a certain part of an object in ortho view in such a situation ?

Cheers

Steve

Have you tried using a clipping plane?

use SetObjectDisplayMode set to wire for instance on the objects that are obstructing your view, make short cuts for each mode and you can quickly navigate through stuff. that is also valid for one view only, so it will appear only in that one specific view you have set the object on.

Hi,
clippingPlane sounds useful, however it askd for first corner of rectangle, then next and I do so in top view and nothing happens.

I try for the help tab and get a video fail to play warning, then rhino wont esc the command.

a struggle ensues and I win through…phew.

encephalon, not sure I follow.

I am already in wireframe mode, but then what to do ?

the bilk of the object is providing a wiregrame mode view and too many wires for me to make sense of which ones are for the front of the object.

Steve

Steve, clipping planes are the fundamental method to control how much of an object is viewed. You need to learn to use them.

EnableClippingPlane and DisableClippingPlane turn clipping planes on and off in views.

To turn a clipping plane on:
EnableClippingPlane
Select the clipping plane in the desired view…

Clipping planes can be moved and rotated.
Use Flip to reverse the direction of the clipping plane.

Hi,
V5
never used them, but sound useful.
The help video crashes in V5, a win10 thing, so I will have to youtube it or something.

getting V8 in a few weeks at most.

But no time to set it up, must get this massive project finished first.

Cheers

Steve

i am not sure what exactly you want maybe explain a bit more succinct, what i understood is that you are trying to get stuff aside that you see only for one specific part the geometry. so my suggestion is to use SetObjectDisplayMode, if you never used it i suggest you give it a try, i am not talking about the wireframe mode for the entire viewport, SetObjectDisplayMode lets you set the mode for each object or several objects individually, i have shortcuts for it and that is often my preferred way to get stuff aside for a better overview or to get to the core of stuff. you can also mark your object then use Invert and Hide

if that is too messy because you have a lot of stuff hidden and showing stuff even with ShowSelected might be too messy for v5 since you dont have the command isolate which we have since v7 which is very handy for such stuff, you can get around by using -Hide with the dash in front, then it lets you input a name for the hiding entity for instance -Hide a which you unhide by using -Show a you could also macro that and put it on a shortcut, that would be something like isolate and unisolate.

It appears that Steve wants to only show part of objects as is done using clipping planes, but has been completely unaware of clipping planes.

Hi,
I was aware of them, just about, but hadn’t ever had need of them and this has reminded me.

Cheers

Steve