What happened to blendedge (and blendsrf) in Rhino 7?

I get that blendedge/blendsrf up until Rhino 6 sometimes could lead to what appear slightly “deflated” blends that seem to lack some dynamics in curvature.
But I am not sure that the changes in Rhino 7 result in desirable results in all cases:

Note that in the cube example the blends actually may seem better in version 7 than v6, whereas in the other example with border surfaces which meet in a much more acute angle, the blend is grotesquely curved.
Is this how blends are supposed to work in Rhino 7?

1 Like

Hi Norbert - it is how it is supposed to work in 7 - it is becoming clear that in some cases - acute angles - it is not as useful, or at least needs a control on it. I am not sure what the answer is in the shorter term since adding a control is a pile of work that will not happen in V7. We could go back to the old way, I suppose, but that is differently messy in other cases…

-Pascal

1 Like

I agree, a tension control would probably be the best solution.
For the moment I will use v6 blends and v7 blends in parallel, depending on the use case.
I am already spread among different versionds of Rhino (V5 to v7, plus the version 8 wip) so I am used to it.
Bummer that copying/pasting works only between v5/6 and v6/7…

Hi Norbert - I guess we may be able to at least offer a toggle in the shorter term - I am just guessing about how much work that is, I have no idea really, but it seems like a possible way out, short of a real control. I’ll ask.

RH-63328 BlendEdge: Toggle modes

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi @pascal and @norbert_geelen
I just wanted to chime in and add my vote for either a switch or (even better) more detailed settings for BlendEdge (and BlendSrf). I’m doing more and more edges by hand (manually blending) because of the changes made - or copy/pasting between V6 and V7. The V7 changes are great in some situations, but maybe add BlendEdgeOld (like it was done with FilletEdge back in the day), if combining them is too much of a hazzle?
-Jakob

2 Likes

As we officially the Rhino 8 era now…
Whatever happened to have tension control or at least a toggle for “Version 6 blends”?