What export option to use to get Rhino into Affinity Designer?

Thank you Steve!

Would be great if you guys from McNeel can get in contact with Serif about that issue.

There are ways to get the geometry into Affinity Designer (pdf, svg) and the geometry is fine. But the real problem is the super messed up layer/group structure. So we need a way of getting our layouts into Affinity Designer by preserving the layer structure we had in Rhino. Otherwise AD groups the stuff randomly in groups and undergroups and this is so horrible you can barely work.

I hope by talking to each other you could both make some people happier :slight_smile:

Hi,

I just wanted to thank you @stevebaer for your effort on trying to give us the best workflow possible between Rhino and Affinity. I just tested the new pdf export and it works great in my simple test. I was able to open the pdf in Affinity with all its layers and also retaining gradient fills, Iā€™m really impressed!

On a side note, I tried to open the same pdf in Illustrator and everything came in one layer, do you know why is that?

Thanks,
JosƩ

Wow, I didnā€™t expect the layers to come across for Affinity. Thatā€™s fantastic! Thanks for letting me know. I was only expecting you to get nicer hatches :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it is fantastic! Now we are ahead of Illustrator :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Have you tried nested layers? Iā€™m not on my Mac at the moment, but would be interested to know how those transfer to Affinity

It works!

2 Likes

So cool! Thanks for testing.

Have you also tried to do it in the Layouts?

I just tried and it supports nested layers too, but the nesting gets a little messed up. First, at the top level appears the layers in which the detail belongs, so itā€™s important to create specific layers for the details, if not, it gets a bit difficult to manage. During my testing, Iā€™ve experienced that sometimes, the name of a layer is repeated or merged into another layer but the content wasnā€™t affected. So overall is quite workable and will improve your workflow tremendously.

Hi @stevebaer, one thing I did try and didnā€™t work was exporting various pages at once. It created only one PDF page, and it was messed up with duplicated content. So, choosing this option from the export dialog window:

The resulting PDF was only one page, there were two pages in the file. An as you can see in the attached PDF, there is something wrong with it, itā€™s like if everything would have been duplicated.
LayoutViewNestedLayersMultiplePages.pdf (30.8 KB)

Iā€™ve attached the Rhino file in case you want to investigate any further Rhino2Affinity.3dm (2.4 MB)

Cheers,
JosƩ

1 Like

Maybe it sounds crazy, but how about being able import PDF layers back too (if they are present)?

Just played with this, and itā€™s a very welcome addition!

Hi Jonathan -

That sounds reasonable but I have no idea how feasible it is with the current PDF tools that we use.
Iā€™ve put it on the list of things to look at as RH-58482.
-wim

2 Likes

Thanks Wim. i canā€™t off by heart recall all the behaviours of PDF import of vector artwork, currently. I think usually it just comes onto the current layer?

Again, great to see the addition of the export.

Thank-you very much McNeel for your continued implementation of user-responsive features like this new export format. I can second that Rhino 7 WIP on Mac exports PDFs with layers that can be opened in AffinityDesigner (including full nests, though separated into individual single-branch trees); even in this WIP stage, yā€™all have made a happy customer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

I was a bit gutted after just now purchasing the affinity suite only to find out about this problem. I would love to transition to Rhino 7 wip - but im currently only on Rhino 5. It does seem a bit steep to buy 6 now to get wip access, and then buy 7 shortly there after. I bought 5 very close to the release of 6 - so id rather not do the same thing againā€¦

I guess my question transitions off topic but: is there no way to access 7 WIP having 5 licence? Iā€™m course willing to upgrade, but if 7 is coming out soon it seems a bit silly of me. Sorry, but i really need to turn pennies atmā€¦

thanks for any input!

Soo, I have been looking in this thread and trying stuff out. However, I am unable to translate the layers from rhino to affinity designer. Ive tried the PDF export but it does not export the layers, and .ai export just does not work for designer. Is this export feature exclusive to rhino 7? I am on rhino 6

You can try the Rhino 7 eval and see if it works better for you.

Exporting to PDF does work on rhino 7, even though the layers are not exported properly (one layer holds every other layer and its own objects). It is better than rhino 6 which exported everything in one layer.

Hi!
Did a quick test with PDF layers and Affinity Designer, too.
This:

translates to this:

in AD. Better than nothing, but not there yet. Any chance this can be set right?
Thanks!

1 Like

Does this work better in SR9? Vector output is doing a better job of paying attention to layer order and it may have an effect on this.

Hm. Does not look like it.

Layer order in Affinity Designer is still quite strange (saved/opened as PDF of course):