What can't you do in Rhino but can in AutoCAD?

@markintheozarks More options:

10<45 is 10 units from the active view CPlane origin at 45 degrees from the X-axis of the CPlane coordinate system

@10<45 is 10 units from the last point at 45 degrees from the X-axis of the CPlane coordinate system

w10<45 is 10 units from the World origin at 45 degrees from the X-axis of the World coordinate system

@w10<45 is 10 units from the last point at 45 degrees from the X-axis of the World coordinate system

@ is relative to last point

W is in World coordinate system rather than active view CPlane coordinate system

1 Like

Thank you David, great info to work with— Mark

A bill of materials would be on my wish list

Lines types are limited in Rhino. Cant do Zig Zag lines or text with in lines.
Would be good if we can control line display in 3D view. so we dont have to use make2d to control the line type.

3 Likes

Buys vs. Rent; nailed it.

you can also use “r” instead of @ and save yourself from having to use shift.
Nick

Do not bother with AutoCad, it is way over rated. You can get SolidEdge ST8 for free after registration. It is a 2D parametric CAD with all the tools for creating drawings. It is very relible to creat dxf or dwg files.

Dynamic blocks.

2 Likes

I think Mcneel should add dynamic blocks in Rhino 6!

Autocad is a pain, if Rhino gets a bit better in 2d-drawing then one would not need to switch between two programs. Which is expensive, slow and painful.

1 Like

AutoLISP is superior to Python because it is based on XLISP.

Nice one…

…giggle…

Autolisp is just lisp format only…

I like rhino vb more.

@SChg, try using the _PrintDisplay command…

c.

I had reflexively typed that as I would have done in AutoCad and… it worked, so I didn’t have to learn it in Rhino, I already knew it.

You can import almost anything into Rhino, you can section it or take some form of dimension and interact with it in order to aid most 2D/3D work. I haven’t used AutoCAD since V2008 so it may have changed but it was always a pain in the ass when clients supplied odd file types with mesh detail or some stuff that was already in use.

Andy

I can’t deny - my drawings are much ‘crisper’ (is that a word? sharper? cleaner?) when I output from AutoCAD. Not sure why. That’s important to my work.

Also, it’s hard to put my finger on it but when I work in 2D (which I have to do a lot) AutoCAD is more ‘definite’. I tend to work in Polar and when I draw a line it snaps to ortho much more definitely than Rhino does. I spend more time nudging Rhino to do the right thing than I do with AutoCAD.

I prefer Rhino but there are times, especially when I have a lot of 2D work ahead of me, that I bail out of Rhino to get the job done in AutoCAD

1 Like

Correct me if i am wrong but AutoCAD cant doesnt have a command for splitting multiple curves with another set of curve.

also SET POINT for multple curves not possible you have to do it by one by.

Can I add to that?
When I get near the end or mid point on a line in autocad the pick box leaps to that end ‘magnetically’.
In Rhino I need to hover very close to any snap point which is frustrating in tight quarters.
Any way to expand the ‘reach’ of the pick area?

You can adjust the “Snap radius” pixel setting in Options > Modeling Aids.
15 is the default. That’s pretty small on a high resolution display.