Weight loading data on sections of 3D assembly

Hi - New to Rhino, used the free trial period and think I can use the program instead of both AutoCAD and 3ds Max which I currently use to generate multiple-part 3D models, which I create blueprints from, and do visualization renders to show potential clients.

However I also use the AutoCAD 3D models in Inventor, to determine loading on areas on the base of them using a process I developed. I have been speaking with a gentleman whose company, Scan and Solve works with Rhino, about the process, and he recommended I post a breakdown of it here. He thought with Kangaroo, what I need to do could be done, but to check with experts here. I have built a simple version of the model which I think explains it pretty clearly, and was hoping to post the image but cannot see how. That is frustrating.

A simple description would be a multi-part rectangular tabletop, with a solid interior element (rectangular box), 2 layers of thin material on the top (2 thin rectangular boxes), and a thin layer wrapped around the edge, (like veneer). Real-world materials would be applied to each solid element, to generate accurate weight for the assembly.

The table then sits on multiple legs, some of different widths and depths but all the same height, with a material applied to give them weight.

I need to be able to determine how much of the total weight of the table assembly, is on the bottom of each leg. I hope that’s clear, I can expand on the details if needed.

Any info on whether this is possible would be appreciated, as without being able to do this last, critical step which is used for construction of the things I design, I cannot justify switching to Rhino. Thank you, Dan https://www.manley-design.com/?page_id=13

When posting, use this button

Thank you for that info. I am posting my image here, which I hope explains what I’m trying to accomplish.

To my limited knowledge, the main purpose of Kangaroo is form finding, not analysis, I don’t think Kangaroo will return that kind of data to you.
But GH has structural analysis plugins, you may need them to get the weight data.

I don’t know enough about GH or Rhino to be able to tell if there are plugins, like Grasshopper that can produce the data I need. I’ve had no luck with my own research on the forums, and example videos. Unfortunately this is the second time I’ve checked into this, I hoped this illustration would make clear what I’m trying to achieve, but so far I’ve still been unable to get any definitive answers. I cannot justify the cost and time to purchase and learn Rhino if I cannot use the models created in it, to generate this data. If I can find out for sure that this can be extracted using some method or plugin, I will be all over it as having tried it under the trial run, it’s a great program which looks like it can replace what I now do in AutoCAD and 3ds Max. But this weight calc and site-specific loading information is the most critical part of what I do for my client, using Inventor 2014 at the moment. Thanks for your reply!

Hi Dan -
A few questions…

Does that mean that Scan’n’Solve doesn’t provide you the information that you need?

Why is this a Grasshopper question?

Have you looked at Karamba?
-wim

Hi Wim - I am not a Rhino user, yet, just someone who has used it for the free trial, and is considering purchasing it, if I can use it (via plug-ins or whatever programs are available) to extract that loading data from my completed 3D models, which is critical to what I do for a client. I had no luck last year asking about this, but keep an eye out on forums and Rhino’s main page, saw Scan and Solve featured and contacted them about it. The person I dealt with said their program cannot generate that info, and suggested I create a new thread about it, here, including the simplified model example image. I am not aware of Karamba, and will take a look. Given your experience, do you think it could do what I’m looking for?

Hi Dan -

I’m not a Karamba user. I see that your evaluation license expired last year so you can’t try this out yourself. I can only suggest that you create a new thread in the Karamba category here and be as specific as you can about your question.
-wim

I went to their website and looked at some examples of their software’s capability. Seems like it could work, but the first couple of similar plug-ins I looked at during the eval period did as well and unfortunately outside of seeing visual cues for stress and obvious overloads causing breakage you could not extract exact numbers from specific areas. There was someone who was sorting out a boat floating in water which seemed promising but again setup and extraction didn’t work out. I wrote Karamba, sent them the simple representation drawing and a link to my website which has examples of the models and a float-loading setup in Inventor. Hoping to hear back, nothing so far, I will follow up with them. I will also do as you suggest, start a thread in their forum. Appreciate your input. It really seems like this should be possible, while having to learn a new CAD program at my age, essentially 3 is daunting, my memory is not what it used to be, it would be worth the effort to have a modern program which can do everything I need in one, and can be updated and, important for renders, work on a modern computer, such as my laptop which has faster processers. Some of the 4K renders I’ve made over the last couple of years have taken 5 hours plus to process on my older computer, and it was a powerhouse at the time.