Way to create extruded perforation with minimizing instance size?

I am trying to achieve visually as close to possible to a Panelite Panel when rendered.
However, in rhino when there is a lot of extrusion, it slows rhino down a lot.
is there a way to convert this into a mesh or possibly make this as an some sort of asset that would reduce the size of the model instance? I’ve seen some instances where trees would show up as a box meanwhile it renders as a tree.

The goal here is to achieve & show the extruded portion of a cylinder and render them with transparency. I’ve tried the texture mapping option but this only limits to surfaces application and texture cutout applied to opposite end of a thickened panel would not connect.

Any feed back comment, & help would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

I take you are seeing these from several angles and distances? What’s the range of angle and distances?

Hi Japhy, Yes, It will be seen from multiple angles and distances. I can’t give exact range on the angle, but distance it will vary between 6’ to 100’, same goes for the height.
I am trying to explore a visual study on extruded transparent perforation & how they affect based on the point of view.

What are the dimensions of said cylinders?

If light/ visibility study is the goal actual cylinders are probably the way to go, turning off the ones you’re not seeing at the time.

These will be 6’ x 12’ panel with cylinder extrusion depth will vary from 1’-0" to 3". each cylinder diameter is at 3" for the moment.

My concern is that eventually these panels will multiply in quantity… It works fine with one or two panel, but quantity will mutilply quickly just to cover one face of the building. Which I am looking if there is a way to reduce panel instance size or a method in v-ray materials to achieve the look.

Here’s a quick gh build with no plugins, will post another that uses elefront to create blocks.

Values are for Rhino Units set to decimal feet.
re_render_wall.gh (12.3 KB)

Here’s put in blocks and a 24 x 120 foot wall

re_render_wall_blocks.gh (14.9 KB)

since this is profile based you can try using faceted cylinders instead of radiused, which should improve the render times.

1 Like

Thank you so much Japhy, I’ll need to play with these a bit.
but using grasshopper to manipulate these extrusion did improve performance overall. I think this would be a way to do it.

Here’s with square extrusions. Just rebake the block and it updates.