Wacom Cintiq or Intuos with Rhino

I’m using Intuos 4 Small because I have now some problem using mouse with my hand (pain in a few fingers of the hand to the overuse of the mouse),

My workflow now is very slow because the tablet miss some function as a weel to zoom quickly (the round in the actual tablet isn’t so confortable or practical).

I made an image with a my proposal to optimize the tablet.

2 Likes

Ctrl + the right mouse button on your pen while hovering the pen

hey guys I am a new intuos pro user…and I have a problem with the right click…the right click button works on all apps except for rhino …anyone know why it does that? any solution?

In the Wacom driver you are able to define the button behaviour for individual applications if you want to. Did you set these for Rhino?

I’m really excited to see wacom interested in developing ways to better utilize their tablets in rhino. I’ve been using a tablet since intuos2, I use intuos pro now, as well as the creative stylus for ipad.
I bought the intuos pro when it came out specifically to use touch gestures to navigate in the rhino model space, but found that it didn’t really work as desired. The only touch gesture that seemed to work was zoom. But i do think with a little work in this area it could be just as usefull as a 3d mouse for navigation.
I also agree that a sketch overlay for markup would be great.
The thing I find most useful about the tablet in rhino at this point is the radial menu. Being able to nest menus and program them with all my most used commands and macros is an incredibly powerfull feature for rhino users in my opinion.

1 Like

Hi Thomas,

Yes, the touch is flakey at best I’ve found.

I’ve been on Intuos tablets since… well, a long time :wink: I’m now using a Cintiq 24HD Touch and despite my initial excitement about being able to use the touch features for navigation, I’ve now got that turned off.
Instead I now use it in two monitor mode. I have the main Rhino screen on a second accurate Eizo monitor and all of my toolbars on the Cintiq. So I use the Cintiq just like a normal tablet when in Rhino and use the toggle screen button to access toolbars. This has the advantage of not covering up what you are working on with your hand and means I can layout lots of commonly used toolbars without cluttering up the workspace.

When in painting mode in Photoshop or 3Dcoat, I reverse the layout and have the main screen on the Cintiq to take advantage of what it was designed for and stash all of my palettes on the Eizo. Works a treat!

Steve

I’ve been using an Intuos Pen & Touch small with Rhino 5 for over a year and love it- even without some of the great custom controls suggested here. I use it with a 3D connexion space mouse, which alleviates so much needless clicking.

However, I have just switched from Windows 7 to 10, and the pen does not work well in certain areas of Rhino’s interface- such as right clicking in the layer panel or selecting sliders in Grasshopper. I removed & reinstalled drivers. Works well in other apps like Photoshop. Currently abandoning the tablet on Windows 10 and resorting to the mouse.

I have been using A4 and A5 wacom tablets since about 1995 (Mac Quadra at that time) in order to combat RSI. It worked very well and problems of that kind ceased. It worked so well that we acquired an A0 Wacom digitiser which also worked very well with Microstation and Maxurf (no Rhino in the office then).

I currently run Rhino and other CAD software on Windows 7 for design of marine vessels, using an Intuos and spacemouse pro linked to two workstations through a USB switch.

If Wacom could consider providing options specifically geared to Rhino that would be very welcome.

Two -ve points:

1. The wireless mode of the Intuos never worked acceptably despite discussions with Wacom support which was disappointing. It is always used now on wired connection.
  2. The extent of the desktop area is not reset properly by the Intuos driver after having switched one of the 3 screens from displayport to dvi and back, (but can be recovered by starting the intuos preference panel and re-selecting the desktop extent).

I have a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro Drawing Tablet with Screen ( the Upgraded version of Artist 15.6 ).it has a 15.6-inch display with full HD resolution (1,920 x 1,080), It can produce 88 per cent of the NTSC colour palette . it’s stylus support 8, 192 pressure levels and tilt recognition. it was a cheaper alternative to wacon cintiq tablet . more details: https://www.xp-pen.com/goods/show/id/394.html

a Screen DrawingTablet is not a “must have” for Rhino.
My Artist 15.6 Pro graphics Display is really useful for painting and sculpting purposes.
But on a Screen Drawing Tablet Your hand often covers the screen, so You don’t see what happens on it.
I dont’t like working directly on the screen when I’m using Rhino.

2 Likes

I have used Wacom Intuos before. It is small but perfect for my needs at the time, but now for the other.

I just upgraded to win 10 from 7. I had my Wacom pen with Intuos pro working great in win 7 but now finding a glitch in win 10 that I haven’t found the solution for yet. In 7 the lower button of the pen would register as a right click to end a line or re-invoke a command. I now find this not to be the case in running Rhino 6 in Win 10. So far everything else seems to work.
Any quick advise? And TIA for your time :slight_smile:
Gary D

Hi Gary,
Does this help?

Hey Jarek, that seems like a logical answer but the driver panel, and I assume you mean in device manager?? doesn’t have a calibration tab.
G

it should be in the Wacom Tablet Properties, no?

1 Like

OK, On my older Intuos small, the command was in another location but your suggestion was very useful in helping me to find it. Thank you!! Resolved!
G

It would be great if the gestures could be set to execute a right mouse drag to navigate in the grasshopper canvas. On a two screen setup, the tablet would be set to one screen only. This could help reduce distances moving the mouse left and right from one screen to the other.

1 Like

If you have the latest Intuos Pro, you should really try the Pro Pen 3D. The buttons are pre-programmed for Zoom, Pan and Orbit, but you don’t lose the right click option either. Keep this string going please. Definitely disable Ink on the Pen/calibrate tab as well (win only). It makes it much more usable.

3 Likes

That’s nice, unfortunately my Intuos Pro is just PTH-651 and not compatible with the Pro Pen 3D :pensive:

Are there other benefits for the 3D pen apart from the view manipulation options over the regular pen?
Those that are using a 3DConnextion, will have no use for these navigation/zoom options in Rhino. would be interesting though for other Apps that do not support 3DConnextion [like Zbrush]
I’ts 100$ in the US, so at least 150$ here.

Akash

anyone having a double click issue with the wacom intuos? i have a intuos 4.