VSR end of Life-

Ok, I’ll try to be constructive…

Here’s my explanation for the trim function - shout if anything isn’t clear.

6 Likes

I completely agree with you
Big +1 for me!

We base that on a variety of things including, but not limited to, forum posts and conversations, tech support patterns, private discussions with customers and developers, and Bob’s magic crystal ball.

2 Likes

I reckon that needs polishing a bit… :rofl:

3 Likes

And some more. Realtime sections, deviation of various stuff, highlights…

Shout if anything is unclear.

5 Likes

Actually everything important has already been mentioned above by the guys, but here is my list:

1. CP modeling or CP Gumball

2. Matching with Blend/Falloff, also for Curves

3. Real time deviation analysis

4. Global Continuity Checker

5. XYZ-Static Highlights

6. FILLETING!!!

Fine Tuning/Clean Up Tools:

1. Planarise CPs (With tracing Plane)
  2. View Scaling

But instead of building everything from the ground up, maybe have a look what is already available:

1. Fix THIS as a first step vor CP modeling.

2. Continuity Analysis and visible CPs during matching

3. Fix Filleting

4. XYZ-Static Highlights

5. Real time deviation analysis (Script by @Pascal) —> Explanation here

Those 5 tools just require fixing, meaning little new development. With these fixed you are already 80% there, as a short term solution!

Some Pictures:

CP-Direction2

4 Likes

Every time I thought that myself, I was wrong. He’s tricky and wicked smart.

2 Likes

Blending of curves and surfaces with equally spaced control points…

2 Likes

Single span filleting…

With fillet end condition options…

5 Likes

Thanks @tom and @jordi.rovira for giving me the extra context and pricing info.

When I saw the big enterpricey involvement my BigMCAD BS Alarm Bells went off.

I’m familiar enough with the industry to know this smelled ‘fischig’. They are doing the typical ‘switch cost strategy’ of all big MCAD companies to convince automotive customers to switch. They priced it under 50% of Alias Surface subscription, and that gives plenty of room for PowerPoint slides to justify potential savings over time by switching.

Awesome business move for them, their user will end up with a better product than Alias in many ways, and this also helps the Rhino ecosystem. Yet Kajto is too rich for the rest of us, non-enterprise workers.

So let’s put that pricey thing away and let’s get back to talking about what Rhino can do better, and @John_Brock, do not worry: whatever you are building it will not be competing with Kajto, since most of us ain’t buying it no matter what.

BTW, every move from every other CAD company reminds me how much I love you guys at Rhino, no matter how much you drive me crazy sometimes. Thank you for being awesome and being there for us, the small users without enough Kajones.

Best,

G

4 Likes

Some control point modification options with ability to clean up wobbly rows…

I won’t torture you with the full ICEM tour (not sure I know it anyway…!!) but I will have a sleep before attempting the match surface command…see you tomorrow :grin:

5 Likes

I’d like just that simple UV indicator on the surface!

-Pascal

12 Likes

If I had a dollar for every time I used a command like “ChangeDegree” and then realized I got the direction wrong, had to undo and redo…

5 Likes

VSR has brought me spiritual soothing. Every time I make a refined and smooth surface with ease and comfort, it is a spiritual treatment. So I really can’t leave rhino with VSR included. Mcneel is too arrogant, they don’t understand the significance of these tools.

… And clicking on the N indicator quickly changes the surface normal direction. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oi… I don’t inow if I’d like that - clicking on stuff is just too common a thing in Rhino, I bet it would make people crazy, flipping by mistake. Some stuff needs to be more deliberate.

-Pascal

1 Like

Rhino’s curved surface resembles that of a very clever elementary school student who thinks he has all the knowledge of the world.

If the draft analysis tool was appropriated to allow the user to specify alternating bands at a user defined angular interval, then that is almost static light lines/isophotes as far as I understand? We can already specify the line of draw via a CP or view, so if the tool also had a gum ball type modifier the user could interactively set the lines based on the geometry that is being checked. I found the glsl draft shader file in solidworks and mucked around with it to get something similar to what I have described here. The weakness is solidworks display and analysis mesh controls, always too coarse.

Hi
In addition to the control point command in Icem, I would like to comment a very interesting functionality integrated in situ, which is the possibility to change the degree of a surface by pointing at the surface row (U or V) and then pressing the desired number in the keyboard.

2 Likes

Yes, very helpful!
+1 from me.