Voronoi 3D grasshopper sequence tagging

I am reinstalling rhino once more, I will give it a shot and follow up, thank you!!

Re-installing Rhino? Why not just OpenNest?

Success! “PackageManager” was the only way I could access OpenNest, a little apprehensive to download it again but now that I see how to uninstall perhaps it’s worth it, thank you!

I’m always apprehensive about plugins. Be sure to install only the first one, dated 2021-Jul-20. The other one you had circled (in the other thread) is not used by PackageManager?

10+ minutes into the first video tutorial (I like to test acquired knowledge ASAP) and I got text on the nested pieces. It took two Transform components in series (bottom right).

As you can see, text labels don’t always fit on the small pieces.

Voronoi_2021Oct10c.gh (49.5 KB)

For what it’s worth, I added text alignment (orange group).

Voronoi_2021Oct10d.gh (47.6 KB)

Note that each piece is labeled twice, once by Text Tag 3D (cyan group) and once more by OpenNest Text (bright yellow group on the right).

1 Like

Thank you! I was unable to comment yesterday because I am a new member and had a limit on the amount of times I could comment in 24hrs… During that time I managed to successfully install OpenNest and tried to add a few things within the script.

Another detail of what I need to do is add connection points. To make this easier it would be ideal to eliminate the smaller cells and facets of the voronoi.

As far as the physical construction goes, I will need to add attachment point to each face, will upload what I have so far.

This script is proving to be much more complicated than I anticipated. In this version I have not attempted to add OpenNest but you will see that I am trying to add connection points for each piece. I need this definition to be as simple as possible but I am having issues aligning the brep curves and planes so that I can designate a connection point.

I basically need to build this thing from cardboard or plywood and am thinking ahead on how to construct each cell. All the cells will not be used, I have attached the .3dm as an example of what I mean.

Again, thank you, this is turning into a long thread on my part!

3D Voronoi .3dm (8.3 MB)Voronoi 3D.gh (19.9 KB)

What I learned from your .3dm file is that you want a shape like this:

I did something similar recently:

Your GH file doesn’t help at all. One bit advice is to aggressively disable preview on upstream components so you can see what you’re doing.

I copied your goal geometry into the version ‘d’ file I posted yesterday, bypassed the Voronoi bits since that part is already done (manually?), and got this:

Voronoi_2021Oct11a.gh (508.2 KB)

Geometry is internalized, no need for .3dm file.

Yes,I manually altered the Voronoi in rhino although it would probably be better to do it all is grasshopper… This is close but not the final form, some aspects will need to change but I do need the curve. I am still learning grasshopper so my apologies is something obvious slips by me.

I am not getting the same result when I run the file. What am I doing wrong? Thank you :pray:

I don’t know what you are doing, right or wrong. The “sparse Voronoi” you have introduced today significantly moves the goal posts, which can waste a lot of time and effort.

Here is a way to think about “Sparse Voronoi” (gold group). I added a Data Dam to stop changes on the left side of this canvas from re-computing the OpenNest code on the right. Unfortunately, Data Dam leaks when you open the file or unlock the solver so I disabled it completely. It also helps to disable the SUnion component (gold group) while playing with the Random Reduce component.

Voronoi_2021Oct11b.gh (40.2 KB)

Thank you, I have a few questions about the definition, which node is generating the cut files in the back?

Sparse Voronoi is useful but I need the “cells” to work together with gravity so it can be built as a temporary pavilion. Worst case scenario I was going to generate the voronoi then unwrap and label each one for the laser cutter. Sometimes it’s faster to do things manually than through programming.

This is what I see when I open the file

You are squandering your newbie post limit with too many inconsequential posts.

That might be the best you can do. Understanding working code is essential to learning GH.

I don’t see where you are generating the cut files

I don’t know what more to say. You must understand the code you’ve been given.

Most of it I understand but I have never used data dam before. When I turn it on I assumed it would pack the objects.

If it’s not too much trouble would you please explain how you are packing the objects through the data dam