Volume of voronoi structure with overlapping meshes

Hi everyone I’ quite new to Rhinoceros/Grasshopper and I’m trying to determine the porosity of a few voronoi structures.

Since the structure is quite dense and I (purposefully) use Weaverbird’s Mesh Thicken, the meshes overlap and I obtain a completely wrong volume (larger than the bounding box) because the volume is calculated from the sum of the volumes of each individual mesh and doesn’t account for overlapping.

I tried different options to merge the meshes such as MeshJoin, MeshUnion, Weaverbird’s Join Meshes and Weld but none did it. I also tried RebuildMesh and the only parameter that resulted in (lower) volume values was the weld vertices. However, since the structure is quite complex I cannot understand clearly how this is changing the geometry.

Can someone guide me how to determine this volume?

Thanks!
Duarte

Hold your breath while I wire up a GH model to duplicate your screen image… (sarcasm)

3. Attach minimal versions of all the relevant files

Apologies, please find my .gh file attached.voronoi.gh (12.5 KB)

Thanks again for the help,
Duarte

@Joseph_Oster I believe that one problem is that the mesh I generate is made up of 75 values (because of how the voronoi population is defined) rather than 1 value, hence when I calculate the volume it calculates for each of the 75 values and does not consider the overlapping. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks again for the help!

Hello
I am not sure your are going the right way. You could benefit from using Dendro only.
See this :

Sorry for the late reply, I was studying the approaches you suggested and also the Dendro plugin, thanks for that! The approaches you suggested seem much more robust and the only reason why I was trying to find a way to stick to my solution was that I had already 3d printed several models…

I tried to use Dentro Mesh to Volume (vMesh) directly on my solution but could not find a way to calculate the volume of the Dendro geometry.

I ended up using the file Closed 3D Voronoi Porous Structure.gh.

Thanks again for your response!
Duarte