Vmware 12 now supporting OpenGL 4.1

Dear Everybody, dear McNeel-Team…
@stevebaer

first of all I know, that Virtualisation is not supported within the system_requirements.

But some people - including me - are using it.
How else should i teach Rhino in a class with both Mac and PC users and show both, different interfaces ?

It also seems that virtualisation is used in the NcNeel-office:

and it was intensively discussed here in the forum and also considered by Mc-Neel as an option:

Now there is VmWare 12 Player, free for private / non commercial use.
And they claim OpenGL and up to 8GB CPU-Ram is supported. Fusion - Run Windows on Mac | VM for Mac | VMware

maybe this will change the discussion ?

Fusion can drive complex, GPU intensive applications and games with a dramatically improved 3D graphics engine. Fusion now provides hardware accelerated DirectX 11 and OpenGL 4.1 capabilities to Windows and Linux virtual machines, with added support for eGPU devices. Now allowing for up to 8GB of vRAM per-VM, and employing a special ‘sandbox’ process to render graphics, Fusion leads the way in virtual machine graphics performance, accuracy and security.

did anybody tried it, also in comparison to VmWare Version 11.5 with or without the Tech Preview H20

Did anybody tried the new version… don t want to mess up my bootable bootcamp partition.

I would also appreciate some comments from some more advanced users or from the mc-neel team.
Did you try it, does it sound much better then before ?

thanks, best regard -tom

I’m not exactly sure what you are asking about. We don’t officially support running Rhino on VMWare, but we do try to fix display driver bugs that we find with this system.

thanks @stevebaer
my question is, if you / mc neel / somebody in the forum is running a current mac (current hardware, current OS) with vmware 12 and test stuff like display / overall performance and so on … and maybe found this sad, mind-blowing, exciting, disappointing…
best -tom