VisualArq 2 issues and VA 3 update

VA has of course some scheduling/tables, but in v2 they are so rudimentary that I didn’t use them. V3 will bring improvements, according to here, which are even finished already.

Alternatively, it’s fairly easy to extract surface areas in GH, even utilizing custom user data to filter the parts you want to be listed. Nonetheless you need some GH knowledge to set things up. (A weakness of all things GH imho: I want a simple UI that encapsulates the complexity of the script - something VA can do, interestingly).
In Archicad or Revit, it’s common basic knowledge to set up lists, not a special skill.

Btw: I tried analyzing hatches in GH, because it sounds so intuitive. Strangely it wasn’t as simple as expected, but I found a solution. In Rhino8, this became more straightforward.

To get back on topic: yes, so much is missing in VA(2). The eagerly awaited v3, together with Rhino8, will be a big step forward for sure, but don’t expect it to be on par with the big BIM solutions, which are so much more expensive, but also incredibly feature rich and mature. The project size will dictate the choice of software, I’d say.

Remember: Rhino is a general purpose 3d app, with focus on production. Using it for architecture is done all the time - but not as a one stop shop.
The fun is in proving this statement wrong…

2 Likes