Viewport whiteouts

Hi, since a few versions I keep getting viewports that turn white some times while working.

When focussing on a different viewport is comes back, but when I start working in the bugging viewport it comes back immediately.

Running the latest Yosemite. Restarting Rhino sometimes ‘cures’ the problem.

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 (5A851)
IronPython version: 5.1.2015.131
Language: en (MacOS default)
OS X version: Version 10.10.3 (Build 14D136)

Plug-ins
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro11,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 1680 x 1050
Displays: Color LCD (258dpi 2x)

USB devices
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
A4TECH: USB Device
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.2.7 310.41.25f01
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Btw, this is not the standard issue since my card has 2Gb of memory.

The only unusual thing I see in your Rhino info is that you you have System Preferences > Displays set to “Scaled” rather than “Default for display”. Would you please set your Display setting to “Default for display” and see if the white viewports continue to happen? Thanks.

Here’s my report on the sys info for the whiteouts issue. Same config as listed in my other reports previously:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.1 WIP (5B42w)
OS X version: Version 10.10.2 (Build 14C1514)

Plug-ins
None

com.rim.driver.BlackBerryUSBDriverInt (0.0.68)
com.BT.kext.bpkkext2 (1.0.0)
com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanTeslaWeb (10.0.3)
com.nvidia.web.NVDANV50HalTeslaWeb (10.0.3)
com.nvidia.web.GeForceTeslaWeb (10.0.3)
com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb (10.0.3)
com.nvidia.web.NVDAGM100HalWeb (10.0.3)
com.nvidia.web.GeForceWeb (10.0.3)
com.kensington.trackballworks.driver (1.2.0)
tc.tctechnologies.driver.PaeFireStudio (4.0.0 14255)
com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.6.5)
com.nvidia.CUDA (1.1.0)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacPro5,1
Processor: Intel Xeon CPU X5690 @ 3.47GHz
Memory: 24 GB

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200, 1920 x 1200
Displays: DELL 2405FPW (94dpi 1x), DELL 2405FPW (94dpi 1x)

USB devices
Kensington: Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Apple, Inc: Apple Keyboard
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-10.3.1 343.02.02f04
Maximum texture size: 8192 x 8192
Maximum viewport size: 8192 x 8192

Implementation settings

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x

On the rare occasion where the boxes aren’t rendering then it would be identical to this but the video cards will either be a NVIDIA EVGA GTX 970 SC AXC 2.0 or EGVA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0.

Hi Marlin, it’s very hard to test as it only happens once in every ten times I run Rhino. Furthermore, the problem disappears when I shutdown Rhino and open it again.

I tried creating the glitch while in unscaled mode but I haven’t replicated it yet, however, when I tried replicating it in scaled mode again, it also didn’t happen yet. There’s no telling when exactly it happens, and I am really uncomfortable working in unscaled mode…

Have these white viewports occasionally occuring aswell. Happens while working on multiple files. Relaunch fixes it for me.

Perhaps related. When working on multiple files the default material sometimes turns dark.

We may have a fix for the white viewport problem reported here. We have not been able to duplicate it, but found an issue that might cause this when you have more than one modeling window open. Because we are unsure about this change, we have put it only in the Work In Progress version of Rhino for Mac so it can be tested.

To download the latest WIP, visit http://www.rhino3d.com/download/rhino-for-mac/5B/wip. Please report here if you continue to see white viewports, or if the issue has stopped occurring.

For this , when using RC1, I have been running TestUseBackBuffer and change to Use D | B .

I only started using the WIP as well last week, Paneling Tools is the main reason.

Should i be testing more on the WIP? The whiteout happens more at work. I don’t remember ever having it here.

System info here:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 (5A854)
OS X version: Version 10.10.4 (Build 14E17e)

Plug-ins
/Users/fatty/Library/ColorPickers/SkalaColor.colorPicker/Contents/MacOS/SkalaColor

at.obdev.nke.LittleSnitch (4234)
com.digidesign.mbox2.boot.driver (10.3.5f211)
com.Greatdy.driver.SystemAudioCapture (1.0.0)

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacPro2,1
Processor: Intel Xeon CPU 5150 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 18 GB

Video hardware
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Memory: 1024 MB
Screen size: 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1200
Displays: Cinema (99dpi 1x), BenQ FP231W (98dpi 1x)

USB devices
Apple Inc.: iPhone
PixArt: DynexWired USB Optical Mouse
Apple Inc.: Apple Keyboard
Apple Computer, Inc.: Apple Cinema Display
Canon: CanoScan
Digidesign: Mbox 2

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 ATI-1.32.21
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 0x

I had this happen to me last night as well. About to install the latest WIP/RC2.

Will get the rc2 (pending my ungodly slow wifi hotspot), and open the files I recall working with at the times I’ve had it occur. As mentioned previously I can’t ever recall it happening with a launch / work on single file / quit Ty session, only would happen with multiple files open.

Meanwhile, haven’t had the viewport whiteout on me since I opened this topic. It seems that it is quite rare now. Haven’t updated/changed a thing to either Rhino or my mac so I am guessing it is a bug that has to do with a very, very specific set of variables in order for it to occur.

I had this this morning with a fresh restart.

After running TestUseBackBuffer then changing to D|B, all is fine. I know it is probably my video card.

Only one file open at the time.

What’s TestBackBuffer and DIB?

See this discussion …

I experienced another one this afternoon. Running RC2 on Mac OS X 10.10.3. Skylight was not active on this file.

I was able to reliably reproduce this white viewport issue for a few days, and made some changes that fixed it. Or so I thought. No one else at McNeel could reproduce the original issue with the steps that worked for me. And then, after a couple of days, I could no longer reproduce the problem either. I don’t have total confidence that the changes I made actually fixed the white viewport problem.

So, there are some changes in the latest WIP version (5B48w) that are not in the regular release candidates. I want those of you seeing white viewports regularly to see if these changes work for you. There is a link to the WIP version here: Rhino for Mac - Removed Features.

Please try this WIP version and let us know if you still see white viewports or see any other problems.

Thanks @marlin will download it tomorrow morning at work. That is the computer that gives me problems with whiteouts.

Will give it a whirl over the weekend. Still dealing with dead transmission issues which is making travel somewhat problematic.