Viewport texture resolution / proxy / asset tracking

a few questions regarding textures and viewports:

• if I apply an 8k image as texture, Rhino loads it full into vram (if it can), while useful for most cases, it is a problem once you have 30 of these on screen. Rhino.Options.Display.AdvancedTexturePreviewMaxResolution has no effect with Advanced Texture Preview Option On or Off in view settings. Bug?

• Rhino 6 saves textures by default with the file. While convenient for the unaware, it is a problem for any serious pipeline - especially as there seems to be no option to turn this off by default. Only per file (which it remembers luckily).

• tracking of assets: is there any way to see a list of textures referenced in the file and their status - path, relative, absolute, network etc. And some functionality to relink them. I think the API is open enough that this can be done even with some grasshopper c#, but before i start down this path i wanted the see / ask if there is any option i am not aware of.

thanks!

Hello-

I’ll have to ask about your first question…

@atair - That advanced setting is not related to what you are asking about as far as I can tell. Can you tell me what the problem you see is? Slow?

For the second point, I think I’d set my template file(s) to not save textures - that should carry through to any project started from these templates.

I do not think there is, currently, any good way to do what you ask in the third point.

-Pascal

thanks for the answers!

I was too fast in anticipating problems before they appear: it seems that rhino selectively downsizes textures once it gets close to the vram limit. So it takes care that the ram does not fill up.
That is good enough for me, although a bit more granular control would be nice (max. size)

Templates are a good idea, didn’t think of that. And in regards to the asset linking - a bit of scripting is going to solve that in case its needed.