ViewCaptureToFile macro failing in V6 (works fine in V5)

Hi All,

I have a macro to take screenshots that is not working in V6. I changed the destination and viewmodes to default ones so you can test on your end.

here’s the macro:

_-ViewCaptureToFile
"C:\tmp\screenshot01.tif"
_width=1600 _height=1200
_DrawCPlane=No
_DrawWorldAxes=No
_DrawCPlaneAxes=No
_DrawGrid=No
_Enter
_-NamedView
_Save
Screenshot01.tif
_Enter

'_-NewFloatingViewport
_Projection=Perspective
_Pause
Pause
-ViewportProperties
_Size
_Enter

_-NamedView
_Restore
Screenshot01.tif
-Enter
_-SetDisplayMode
_Rendered
_-ViewCaptureToFile
"C:\tmp\screenshot01_alpha.tif"
_width=1600 _height=1200
_DrawCPlane=No
_DrawWorldAxes=No
_DrawCPlaneAxes=No
_DrawGrid=No
_Enter
_Enter
_CloseViewport

In V5 runs perfectly. In V6 it gets tripped right away on teh filename. but I can’t figure out what needs to change, or if tshi is a bug.

Thanks!

G

Hi Gustavo - thanks, I’ll see if I can sort this out.

@Gustavo - there are several things that I see so far -

-Pascal

1 Like

Ay No! No No No No.

I need all my tiffs. I use tif files because they are uncompressed. I can have them to be default open on Sketchbook Pro for markups. Without messing with other formats.

Why is tiff out?

G

Isn’t PNG also a lossless format?

Philip

Gustavo said uncompressed, not lossless. But, yes.

From a quality point of view png is also fine for my needs. The problem is that PNG is an unlayered format. And tiff supports layers. Let me explain the workflow:

1. I take screen captures to file to a temporary folder. So I have screenshot01.tif, screenshot 02.tif, etc.

2. I have a master Indesign document, let’s call it Indesign_screenshots.indd. This document is multi-page and already has links to screenshot01.tif… all the way to #18.

3. After making news screenshots that overwrote the old ones in the folder, when I open the Indesign document my links will update. I change title blocks in the master and a few call-outs, text and I can export that entire thing as a package (Indesign file + all screenshots used in it)

4. When these screenshots are .tif I can open them in Sketchbook Pro and add sketched details, hand drawn notes, extra shading, even fake nice blends with the airbrush tool. I can keep those edits in separate layers in Sketchbook Pro. I can also do the same in Photoshop. Saving the file maintains the layers for later editing.

5. I close my tif files with layered updates and the links in my Indesign file update. I can continue to do this without ever having to relink a new screenshot. I can go back and replace a sketch note. Or paste a new screenshot from Rhino>clipboard as a layer and close again. Document updates.

In summary I need an image format that supports layers. And that both Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop can understand.

Thx,

G

Ok, I see :slight_smile:

Philip

Hi @Pascal, are we adding tiff support to the “what Rhino giveth he taketh away” list then? Is Tiff gone gone? Or will she be back?

Thanks!

G

Hi Gustavo

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-37174

-Pascal