View clipping the model

Hi Wim,
Thanks for your reply.

Rhino 6 SR13 2019-2-27 (Rhino 6, 6.13.19058.371, Git hash:master @ 17cd8b51accbe17dd04b48028f49d5e77a67f17b)
License type: Commercial, build 2019-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: nsgma ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: XX

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel® Iris® Graphics 540 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 10-11-2018 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.5.0 - Build 24.20.100.6299

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 - Build 24.20.100.6299
Driver Date: 10-11-2018
Driver Version: 24.20.100.6299
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issue for about a year using Rhino 6 for Mac. Especially with a large file, the camera can clip a significant amount of my objects in close view, enough that I cannot zoom in to get a closeup of a polysurface vertex.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, is there some progress in this? I’m working on a large building an the clipping is EXTREMLY infuriating. It became even worse after I started doiing some simple Ladybug analysis. After I placed a Brep component to GH and referenced a few Breps, the camera clipping just clips the whole model. Only remedy is (!) deleting the brep component from GH. When I tried a Mesh component instead, the camera clipping got to normal. What is going on?

I would really love to have a feature of setting the clipping planes for the camera like Blender has. (https://www.katsbits.com/codex/view-clip/#:~:text=With%20the%20Sidebar%20open%2C%20to,clipping%20the%20scene%20and%20object)

2 Likes

Hello,
the same problem occurs with me, in rhino 6 and 7WIP, even after updating my video card driver.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (NVidia).

This view is in an changed arctic but it also occurs in rendered view, traditional artic.

As for Simon3, they have it scheduled as “future” so i suppose they are postponing that type of feature until rhino 8 maybe even 9.

2 Likes

I too am awaiting info on the problem. Rendered view, Rhino 6, 2016 MB Pro via bootcamp.

1 Like

Actually I found this short thread which describes the same problem and presents a usable workaround, though I had to delete my ground plane. I would like it better if the underlying issue could be handled, as this is not the first time I have encountered it.

Hello everybody, I’m considering upgrading to Rhino 7, but if this issue isn’t solved, I guess I’ll stay with version 6… Any news regarding this preview problem?

This nuisance has occasionally presented itself to me since version 5, it didn’t stop me from getting v6, and I don’t think this is remotely a reason not to upgrade to v7.

I just purchased Rhino 7.0 / Bongo and am getting the same clipping problem while trying to create flythroughs of large Pointclouds.
Is there any progress on this clipping issue ? I cant deliver to my customers until this is fixed !

LOOKS LIKE THIS PASCAL GUY DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT.. AS I ALREADY SAW HIS ANSWERS IN ANOTHER ISSUES.. DOESNT LEAD TO SOLVING…

WELL TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM IS SIIIIIMPLEEEEE
JUST GO FILE>PROPERTIES…
CLICK ON RENDERED VIEW AND CHANGE THE “GROUND PLANE SETTINGS” TO “CUSTOM”

AND DONE… BACK TO WORK…

5 Likes

Dude… I love you.
I’ve been trying a ton of different things, as well as lurking about a solution for this problem for YEARS.

This worked wonders. Thank you!!!

1 Like

Hello Criar (@criar )
Your settings have the ground plane settings off. Already at the beginning of this thread, I mentioned that if you turn the ground plane off the clipping disappears.
Now I have Rhino 7 and I picked up the same file I used to start this thread. The problem persists in that file. It is disappointing that after three versions and 3 years this is apparently not solved.
Even changing the settings to custom (I only tested in Ghosted display mode) as you suggest the problem persists.
Thanks, N

Hey man… are you able to do a screensharing?
If so, i can try helping you… can`t promisse anything… but… we can try…
Do you have Whatsapp ? or even facebook?

hahahah its nice to hear it solved your problem dude!!!! Lets get back to work!!!

Best regards!!

Like nsgma, I also earlier mentioned deleting the ground plane as a quick fix. It does not solve the underlying problem.

All caps and dissing senior Mcneel staff won’t get your future problems solved any faster, nor get you more props for trumpeting a solution already suggested twice earlier in the thread.

1 Like

Hi all,
Summarizing my findings explained in the post below here is what you can try:

1. You may want to check for lost objects distant from the scene (or from the origin)
  2. You may want to check for distant entities in imported or linked files or blocks.
  3. You may want to move your scene closer to the origin
  4. You may want to turn off the ground plane (apparently now through the Options>>View)
  5. You may want to hide your camera.

I have revisited the situation on my end now with Rhino7. And trying to bring McNeel back on this issue (@pascal @wim).

I wanted to do a quick summary but it turned a bit longer. I tested the files that I created in Rhino5 at the beginning of this thread. I may find some time to test new ones but not now.

I am not sure when it occurs since does not always affect similar files.

Often it seems related to distance from the Word origin. Either the scene is set very far from the origin, or there are lost entities far from the origin. These lost entities can also be in imported or linked files or block. This may be aggravated if the file is in millimeters and the distances are of several kilometers.
One solution may be to move your scene closer to the origin, but this may be inconvenient especially in topographical survey or other files that need to be georeferenced.

I was able to replicate this in a file done from scratch with no units. I modelled a cylinder with radius 60 units at the origin, and a small cube about 2000 units away. When I delete the cube, the problem disappears. These are very minor distances in the files I normally model. Again, this a file done in Rhino 5 at the beginning of this thread 3 years ago.

It was referred that it may have to do with hardware limitations. I am less inclined to believe this because similar models do not have the same issue.
The other reason that I do not think it is a hardware limitation is that once it starts occurring, it seems to persist even after deleting and purging all geometry, keeping extremely basic geometry placeholders (as in the images at the beginning of this thread).

Another issue that affects the problem, in my test files, is showing the camera. In one of the test files, the view is ok initially but once the Camera>>Show, the clipping happens even more obviously (i.e. clipping the geometry 41000 milimeters from the camera). When the camera is hidden, the clipping is about 5000 milimeters from the camera.

@pascal,
One thing that I have noticed today, is that turning the GroundPlane = Off in the Ground Plane menu (which used to improve the situation) does not work on the file I am testing. The clipping plane only disappears when you turn off through the Display Mode options (Options>>View>>Display Modes>>Ghosted>>Ground plane settings = Off). I assumed this was the same “Offing” but apparently is different.

Summarizing (I also put this list at the beginning of the post):
You may want to check for distant lost objects from the scene (or from the origin)
You may want to check for distant entities in imported or linked files or blocks.
You may want to move your scene closer to the origin
You may want to turn off the ground plane (apparently now through the Options>>View)
You may want to hide your camera.

Please solve it…
Thanks, N

5 Likes

@nsgma Thank you for your summary. I am having this issue as well, but it does not resolve with any of your recommendations. I tried them all except moving closer to the origin. I am unable to move the scene because of geographic coordination. However, I don’t feel that should be contributing, as my farthest object from the origin is 2184’ away, I am looking at views at the feet scale, and neither the object locations or the camera points have changed, only the file size, which is around 180,000 KB. I am running Rhino 6.
Anyone else have luck resolving? Another work around, since these aren’t working for me?
Thanks!

Hi Seavers2,
In a test file, I would still try to move all geometry closer to the origin just to check. This was one of the first things that I found it worked even before the start of this thread - probably in Rhino 1 ;). I have noticed long ago that even AutoCAD with extremely far origins (a peculiarity of the country I was working on) and in millimeters (a decision of the practice and my personal preference) had a way of compiling rounding errors that impacted the geometry slightly and naggingly.
Due to the combination of the two problems, we had a system to work closer to world 0,0 and convert it back to the georeferenced location when submitting or issuing to parties that needed it.

As a test you may also want to explode everything and check if indeed there aren’t any far entities. I have noticed especially with third party blocks.

Having said this, in the more recent iterations of this problem, as explained above, having simple files done from scratch, without any blocks or third party files, I still had the problem…

@pascal, @wim do you have any feedback on this? I could try to replicate on Rhino 7 when I have the time, but the lack of action on this is not a big incentive.

N

I’ve had this problem too and, sometimes, it gets solved by just copying your model to a new rhino file and enjoy until it last :slightly_smiling_face:

Then copy your named views from the old file to have the same angles and that’s it.

The other thing i’ve noticed countless of times is that if you modify the scale from 1 and forward, the clipping may occur on the viewcapture for nerby objects if you have your FOV to the back.

Viewcapture scale: 1

Viewcapture scale: 2

This bugs are the cross of rhino, and they will continue.

1 Like

I have carefully read through this list of solutions and have not found a fair workaround. Copying and pasting to a new drawing is not a reasonable workaround. I produce large drawings with many 3D views and run into this issue constantly. I have also helped many coworkers try to resolve this as ‘The technical person’ and it is very frustrating. I hope this bug is squashed in Rhino 8. In other 3D software, the camera clipping distance can be set for near and far extents, so I assume this is possible.

1 Like