Video card crashes when running Rhino 5 with Windows 10

Hello,

I am a Rhino 5 user, and have recently ran into an issue. I currently have an NVidia Geforce GTX 660 M video card with 2 GB of dedicated memory. While trying to run Rhino, I frequently get error messages saying that my video card has crashed and recovered (but of course Rhino remains frozen). I have had no issues with Rhino in the past, even with large files there would be no lag whatsoever. I think this problem started when I updated to Windows 10.

I’ve tried a few solutions to fixing this issue that were listed online, basically editing some things within my computer’s registry, but none of that helped. When I run Rhino with integrated graphics instead of my GPU it works, but is very slow and doesn’t actually work for the 64 Bit version of Rhino because it says I don’t have permission to run it that way (even though I am the administrator) and to go to the NVidia control panel, which of course doesn’t list Rhino as a program that I can run integrated graphics with.

Thank you in advance,

Noah.

This happened to me recently on my two Workstation Graphic cards.

I initially thought it’s Win10 problem but it was not.

So I replaced my Graphic card with new one (same spec), problem solved.

Use windows 10 automatic update instead of downloading Nvidia driver from official website. (The latest version doesn’t mean it’s stable, and if you read the info about the driver, sometimes it’s beta version.)

1. Reinstall system
  2. Autoupdate from Win10 update center

if that doesn’t work, try different GPU.

After backing up your computer. I might try uninstalling the nvidia video drivers, and install the latest certified driver, using clean/custom settings.

With exceptions, your drivers must match your system: 32bit for 32bit, 64 for 64bit.

There is also utility to remove old video card settings, but it may not be necessary now, with nVidia’s later installer.

A video card crashing also seems like a hardware issue, like GPU with poor heat-sink interface/compound on it. There are utilities in which you can check the temperature. If the driver settings are corrupt, they might tell the card to do something that’s bad for it.

If you determine that you must reinstall Windows 10, there is a utility to make a bootable flash card. Of course, you should have a few backups of all of your data. Better yet if you upgrade your storage, you can set the old drive on a shelf, and pick its bones clean, after the fact.

[At home, I run Rhino with an old GTX-570, and it has worked under Windows 10.]