Ventilation optimization in GH vs Autodesk Dynamo

unhandled

(Msa Snake) #1

I need help to make up my mind here. I am doing a research which is basically optimizing a building in terms of thermal comfort (mainly ventilation and cooling/heating). I am confident enough with grasshopper as a tool for this issue, but my professor suggested using BIM (so that will lead me into Revit/Dynamo) because I guess he thinks it is the new cool thing. My question is for people who tried or have any experience with Dynamo for optimization does it have any extra advantage ? for example I know that Kangaroo is not available for Dynamo, but shall I give Dynamo a try ? The other reason that I am thinking of Revit/Dynamo because of Autodesk CFD, so please advice me which do you think is better regarding this issue.

P.S : I know how to use Rhino and Grasshopper, in addition to Revit but not Dynamo.

(Tim Stark) #2

No answer to your question, but what has kangaroo to do with Ventilation optimization?

Your problem is quite complex. I would look at how to break the problem up before being dead set on a tool to solve it.

For one, does it really make sense to optimize the building in a BIM context? You would probably be running that simulation/optimization with a seriously simplified model and then use that skeleton as a basis for fleshing out everything possibly in BIM.

To throw a few more wrenches in your cog, Rhino/Grasshopper seems to be capable of BIM in some respects with some add-ons/components (not my area of expertise at all), the Ladybug toolset seems like a good toolkit for your problem possibly more than native Autodesk products that may not be integrated in Dynamo yet. Ladybug tools are available in both Grasshopper and Dynamo flavours.