Ventilation optimization in GH vs Autodesk Dynamo

I need help to make up my mind here. I am doing a research which is basically optimizing a building in terms of thermal comfort (mainly ventilation and cooling/heating). I am confident enough with grasshopper as a tool for this issue, but my professor suggested using BIM (so that will lead me into Revit/Dynamo) because I guess he thinks it is the new cool thing. My question is for people who tried or have any experience with Dynamo for optimization does it have any extra advantage ? for example I know that Kangaroo is not available for Dynamo, but shall I give Dynamo a try ? The other reason that I am thinking of Revit/Dynamo because of Autodesk CFD, so please advice me which do you think is better regarding this issue.

P.S : I know how to use Rhino and Grasshopper, in addition to Revit but not Dynamo.

No answer to your question, but what has kangaroo to do with Ventilation optimization?

Your problem is quite complex. I would look at how to break the problem up before being dead set on a tool to solve it.

For one, does it really make sense to optimize the building in a BIM context? You would probably be running that simulation/optimization with a seriously simplified model and then use that skeleton as a basis for fleshing out everything possibly in BIM.

To throw a few more wrenches in your cog, Rhino/Grasshopper seems to be capable of BIM in some respects with some add-ons/components (not my area of expertise at all), the Ladybug toolset seems like a good toolkit for your problem possibly more than native Autodesk products that may not be integrated in Dynamo yet. Ladybug tools are available in both Grasshopper and Dynamo flavours.

1 Like