Variable Offset Surface in Rhinocommon?

Is there a way to do a variable offset surface in Rhinocommon?

If not, I might try to script the rhino command. Trouble though is I’m not sure how to move the handles. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sam

Sorry, no. Neither the C++ SDK nor RhinoCommon have support for this.

Perhaps you can describe what you are trying to do. Posting geometric examples is alway helpful.

@chuck, any hope for something in the SDK in the future?

It’s not on my list anywhere, but I suppose it’s possible.

OK, attached is a trimmed surface representing the bottom of a shoe last. I would like to offset it downwards, but more at the back than at the front (has to do with more shoe material at the back than the front). Perhaps I will have to write a function that offsets the control points downwards but as a function of distance from the front or back. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sam

SurfaceToOffset.3dm (13.2 MB)

That might work in the case of this surface. But if the VariableOffsetSrf command is what you’d normally use, then the SDK should provide similar functionality.

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-31830

Hi Dale,

I think I see what you are saying: offseting control points doesn’t gaurantee the surface will be offset by that amount, but my surface is close to flat so perhaps it would be OK. Alternatively I could do some kind of interative solution. Or I could just wait for it to be added to Rhinocommon. I like the last option best :-), any thoughts on how long it might take?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam,

This is on my list. I’m not really in a position to look at how difficult it will be right now. Give me a few days to finish up something then I’ll have a better idea.

Chuck

Thanks!

Sam

This doesn’t look very easy. There is a lot in the command interface that will be hard to get into a relatively simple function. If all you need is something that takes a surface and a list of (u, v, distance), it might not be too bad, and I can probably do something in the next month or so, but there’s a good chance it won’t give what you are expecting. There are quite a few parameters in the low level code that I would have to fill in by guessing.

The earliest anything would be available in V6…

I think a giving a list of distances at particular u, v would be OK. You are going to write a rhinocommon function for this? But it will be ready in a month or V6?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam,

Sorry for the confusion. I was talking about when I can get the code written. I don’t know what the time frames are for releasing different versions to the public. I’m working exclusively in v6 now, and I could have it done there in a month.

Chuck

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Sam