V7 Wish: Distribute Along Curve

Oh, I know, I used to use it. It’s stupid expensive (£5,000 give or take) and a real PITA to use. Bogs you down with so much superfluous stuff.

may I add a +1 for the important need of us jewellers to have an array/distribute along curve tool with Srf normal alignment.

• Live Booleans exists also in Apps that are within Rhino’s cost range. It’s been available in Zbrush since a few years, a great system where you can adjust many booleans operations, unions and difference, while continuing work on the model until you like the results and then commit the Boolean.
    Having it in Rhino where controlling scale and translations distance is easy and precise will be very nice.
    But perhaps it is something more difficult to develop with Nurbs…

with best regards
Akash

@pascal, How does Create UV Curves determine the length and width of the resulting rectangle? Is it equal to the longest edges in each direction on the parent surface? I seem to get results that are close to that length but vary a little.

Steve!!
No doubt that Armadillo is a good deal. I know how functional ArrayCrvPLUS was and I’m sure Armadillo is better. Still, it would be even better if it had Rhino History. :+1:

Hi Mike, I looked into this several times to try to allow for changes once Armadillo solution is “baked” but there were too many variables in place, including what to do with the items that are being distributed etc… I just did not find a good solution to implement this considering all the custom options and scenarios possible. I would say for trully parametric, history enabled results similar to what Armadillo offers as quick solutions, investing time in creating your custom definitions in Grasshopper could be the best option for now. Obviously to do what Armadillo offers would take more than 1 definition, and some coding inside components, but that eventually would result in fully history-enabled workflows. Armadillo was designed as an “easy” and quick design tool. I agree making it history enabled somehow would make it much better. I may look into it some more again. Thanks.

–jarek

1 Like

Hi @pascal, just wanted to ask if something similar to the Armadillo or ArrayCurvePLUS is being looked at with v7? It’s unbelievably important for us jewellery designers.
I’ve also noticed that ArrayCurvePLUS is no longer on the Food4Rhino page - @Jarek has this been removed?

1 Like

hi @aaron4,
Yes, ArrayCrvPLUS is not supported anymore since it has not been developed further for a while and was not compatible with evolving Rhino versions. Armadillo is the continuation of that plugin with extended features and I am doing my best to keep it working with the current versions of Rhino.
Within Rhino itself (no plugins) similar solutions could be achieved by creating Grasshopper definitions, but ArrayCrvPLUS (before) and Armadillo (now) offer quick one-shot options and iterations without a need for either very complex or multiple custom GH definitions.

–jarek

Thanks @Jarek - I’ve been taking Array Curve plus for granted, especially as it was free - I feel like I need to say a massive thank you for it, it’s really been a lifesaver and incredibly generous of you.

Hi Aaron - thanks and glad to hear you found it helpful. There is a chance it even still works on some systems depending on the Rhino version and the geometry that it would be attempting to process, but as I said I could not keep up with updating it.
I would not mind to still share the install with anyone interested.
Wondering if you had a chance to try Armadillo? I know it is not a free alternative but definitely the jewelry designers are the core user base of that plugin.

–jarek

I wondered something similar - even if the deformation for keeping the arrayed object to a lowish tolerance on the surface would be a good start. So it would be a levelled up ArrayCrvOnSrf, using the urface normal to deform as well orient. With an option like ConstrainNormal to boot like FlowAlongSrf, that would be pretty powerful I think.

So I would add my vote here, if there’s appetite or thoughts of developing anything like this.

Hi Jonathan,

Actually, McNeel has already added a surface normal component to Flow Along Curve. There is a working “Target Surface” command line option in Flow in the WIP. It is a huge timesaver!

Actually, yes! I spotted this recently! I was only disappointed to see that it was for orientation, not deformation. That would really be the thing that I would want. A crossover between this tool and Pascal Golay’s ProjectObjects plugin tool would do that, just about.

Although, maybe it’s already possible in Grasshopper. The building blocks are all there for a python routine even I think.