I hope
Many bugs are not fixed
shell.chamfer.fillet
And other commands!!!
:grinning:

1 Like

easy killer… lets get v7 out and running eh? :wink:

but… points for enthusiasm!

We’re pretty focused on V7 at the moment. Feature requests are always welcome here on discourse and once we actually have a V8 WIP we’ll start generating a what’s new list that users can comment on for feature development.

We don’t have a bullet list of “planned” V8 features if that is what you are looking for. I have a list in my head of what I think should be added as well as most other McNeel staff and I can bet that all of those lists are all slightly different. We need to figure out what can be done and what should based on input from the community.

5 Likes

Sounds good, thank you for clarification! Much success to the McNeel devs :100::100::100::100:

Now hold your horses. They were here first, get in line! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Great question! Test it yourself and you will have the answer.

I’d say ready enough. Bugs will be there anyways. Looking at the amount of SR Rhino 6 has had, Rhino 7 can just as well be released today. Time for a Rhino 7 release party, a holliday for all McNeel staff, and a welcome to Rhino v8 WIP that focusses on high end surfacing tools, robust fillets and solid editing tools, blocks and drafting.

10 Likes

im still with Rhino 5 version, want to buy an update, coz started to make little hobby 3d again. But i also wait for v7 release, to buy v7 and not v7 and then another upgrade for v7

Two thumbs up on the surfacing tools :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

And Grasshopper 2, since Grasshopper has been out of Beta for a couple of years now, only beta software floats our boat :wink:

Joking aside, getting some of the modeling and features Alias has into Rhino, that’s what I hope to see, besides additional shortcut key combinations and perhaps a Grasshopper player similar to Revit/ Alias’ 2021.2 Dynamo player.

E: And live linking files would be nice.

1 Like

Can you explain these two?

Sure thing.

Grasshopper player
Although I don’t know the specifics as to how Dynamo organises parameters in this panel, it is basically the Remote control panel as we know from Grasshopper on steroids. You can browse to a particular script and open it in the Dynamo player, without having to use the scripting canvas itself. It is like having a window of Human UI with all parameters listed, if you will. Although I have yet to give Human UI a try myself, I can foresee a Grasshopper Player being much easier to have a drag and drop UI in which all input parameters are pre-populated and with users being able to rearrange and resize input parameters (or even hide them from the panel in case it is a constant value), but this is already into the technicality of how it could work. I think that this is particularly powerful when used in Rhino.Inside. or to allow other people to work with someone else’s script.

This is how it works in Alias, where you save the script as a tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx531XHWFAg
And in Revit (note that this window can be fully populated with sliders and input boxes as well as other folders to browse to): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrztrqip2OE

Live linking files
This is similar to how you can link a PSD into Indesign/ Illustrator, save a new iteration and relink the contents. Or like how 3ds Max or Revit can exchange Autocad or Revit data with each other. Move a line, resave and the changes will be propagated in the host application.
Live linking files in Rhino would basically be the same — save file in external application or another Rhino session > Rhino sees that the contents of the file have changed and A) prompts to relink B) Relink automatically C) Ignore > if relinked, the contents of the newly saved file are ‘imported’ into Rhino and overwrite the previous imported data.

This is particularly powerful when working with a model from an external application Alias/ Fusion 360/ Blender, etc. and using that base model for patterning/ panelisation with Grasshopper. If you change the original file, say modify a dimension value or two and move some points around, the Grasshopper script should still be working off off the new model once saved and relinked in. So users wouldn’t have to reconfigure which surface to input into the script, etc. Or, have the contents of an urban plan change in a 2d dwg and have the extruded buildings resize with the changed footprint and so on.

E: Come to think of it, I also requested a feature similar to the History Visualiser in Alias a while ago: [History] - Feature requests: query edit & history visualiser, I guess that completes my list, or does it…? :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

the name sounds awfully similar to:

but the way it’s working in that video is indeed how it should be

as for live linking: isn’t this already possible with linked blocks?
-_BlockManager _Update _All
or do you mean something else?

and
-_Worksession _Refresh

Here’s what I mean, it is supposed to work for entire files, rather than updating instances of objects:

the link doesn’t work here.

I see, that’s weird. The link is updated in the previous post :wink:

after watching that video, I think that looks pretty similar to how it works in Rhino, although with a bit less dialog windows for adjusting the layers of the inserted file. These are the settings I use for placing linked blocks. As you can see when choosing reference, you get the file layers as a separate layer structure at the bottom of the layers:

1 Like

I like the idea of 3-point plane for Align, but please don’t get rid of the current view-based plane!

Better polished than soon.

1 Like