V7 Export not remembering save location

hey everyone!

hey Mac devs,

in V7, when trying to Export to .STEP, I almost always save to desktop but Rhino seems to always want me to save to Documents (folder).

Sometimes, I’ll even have Desktop selected in the dialog but it still goes to Documents.

I’ve basically been hitting ⌘D (for desktop) about six times prior to OK_ing the save.

So yeah, remembering the last exported location would great.

I would say it appears to happen randomly but it happens so often that I believe you’ll be able to see it after a few tries… If you can’t reproduce it, I’ll try to figure out a series of steps to show it.

Hi @jeff_hammond Thanks for the report. I saw this once on the second Export out of six times and thought I had some reproducible steps but it never happened again. I filed https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-62405 Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @jeff_hammond,

I started do look into this today and could not get it to happen. I was using untitled.stp, untitled1.stp, untitled2.stp, untitled3.stp, etc., saved to the root of the desktop folder. I repeated the command with a right click instead of typing it or going to the menu dropdown, in case that matters. I guess it would be helpful to know your pattern. Just curious, are you only having trouble with Step files or are others having the same behavior. I would think that the Step exporter itself cannot be the problem. It uses a path string passed to it. All of the plugin file exporters work in the same way.

Tim

hey Tim,

Thanks for looking into it.

So, it happens for me with _Export or _ExportAll (but Save or SaveAs seems fine)… it also happens with file types other than Step (or, at least, it happens with .dwg as well)

I haven’t yet found a way to trigger the behavior other than Exporting to Step, going back into the rhino model, doing some more work, then exporting again… It will almost always be pointing to the Documents folder upon the next attempt at Export… Then the weirdest part is sometimes when it says Desktop, upon clicking Export, it will switch to Documents then export it to the documents folder.

In the meantime, I’ve made a workaround via a folder action for Documents which says any time a .stp file goes in there, it’s moved to the desktop.

The only thing I can say that shows an odd behavior every single time is:

When you do your untitled.stp, untitled1.stp, untitled2.stp exports, try pressing the right arrow key… This is supposed to make the cursor go to the end of the name but in front of the .stp in order to make it easy to add to the end of the name without using the mouse…

When I try that in the Export dialog, it will switch the save location to Documents… Is that something you can see happening on your end?

Hi Jeff,

I cannot get it to happen on this Mac. I tried the right arrow trick. I tried typing Export, selecting it from the menu and selecting it from the right click dropdown. Every time dinking around with the model a little. This is on a Mac mini running 11.2. I have an iMac in Seattle running Catalina but, unfortunately, I’m not able to remote onto it at the moment. I was hoping to try the same thing there. It does seem like occasionally it takes a lot longer to make the save and I’m hopeful that the reason I don’t see it immediately on my desktop is because it’s being saved to documents. But, so far, it always ends up on the desktop. I’ll keep trying stuff. I need to figure out a way to make it repeatable so I can see what’s going on in the debugger.

If I figure anything out I’ll post here.

Tim

ok, so this is most definitely something to do with Big Sur and iCloud Drive… (and I just realized this is happening in Rhino V6 for me now too)

if I turn off Desktop & Documents in iCloud Drive, the various problems I’ve mentioned go away.

…but I like the syncing because all my devices have my working files without me manually transferring.

I’m not sure if this is a bug from Apple or something that needs updated in Rhino for Big Sur but I’ll try to ask Apple this weekend.