V6 - "Writing failed for unknown reason"

Yes, on Monday I can. This particular file was generated by a coworker on some flavor of v5 (which I can also get for you on Monday), I edited it a bit (I didn’t do any further dimensioning / annotation however) and attempted the save which failed.

I can find out the RC number by then myself. I know we made several fixes for this particular problem in the 6.6 branch, I am thinking that the current RC was created from a point just before that.

Edit: I just now heard that next weeks’ RC will have the fixes in.

@SamPage
We think we have fixed the bug that was causing the file saving “failed for unknown reason” bug. The fix will be in any Rhino 6 built on or after Jun 4. The bug is in every Rhino 6 built before June 4. We hope to have public updates available for both Rhino 6.5 (shipping version) and Rhino 6.6 (next service release candidate version) by later today.

Details: As discussed above, if you selected any annotation object during a modeling session, then the possibility existed for strings to get corrupted in annotation styles. These corrupted strings were halting file writing and also causing crashes. In addition to the 4 strings mentioned above, there were about a dozen other strings that were at risk. We fixed the bug that created the initial corruption. In addition the core file IO code has been updated so that, in the future, any corrupt string will be discarded, replaced with the empty string, and file saving will continue.

I apologize for the lost time and extreme frustration this bug has caused. Thank you for reporting the bugs and helping us.

3 Likes

More fix details:

Last week I downloaded the latest version of Rhino 6 (version 1.50, Dec 14 2018, 17:51:30) and I still have the problem that it won’t save my files. I’ve downloaded the FixDimStyles plug-in, but it doesn’t work. This way Rhino is useless for me. Are their any other solutions?

I’m using a default Rhino template.

Please help

Hi - that error message doesn’t include the "Writing failed for an unknown reason." message, and as the problem that was reported in this thread was solved in SR 6, it is likely that you are experiencing something else.

Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and paste the result here.

Last week it saved my file once. This week I opened the program again and it again failed.
This is what I get when I run system info:

Rhino 6 SR12 2019-1-29 (Rhino 6, 6.12.19029.6381, Git hash:master @ ae9d7fba5fda0b43002dc44a34e059a9a382db04)
License type: Educational, build 2019-01-29
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2019-10-01

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-11VJ85L

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-16-2017 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.4.0 - Build 22.20.16.4708

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.4
Shading Language: 4.40 - Build 22.20.16.4708
Driver Date: 6-16-2017
Driver Version: 22.20.16.4708
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\SolidTools.rhp “SolidTools”

Hello - are you saving to a synced folder like Google Drive or DropBox?

-Pascal

No, just a regular folder on my SSD.

It might have something to do with the fact that I’m using an educational license via the TU Delft. The one time that it did safe my file was when I was at the university. I tried to save my file when I had a VPN connection with the TU Delft, but that did not work.

Hello - please try saving to the desktop - just as a test. Does that much work?

-Pascal

It worked when saving an empty file, directly to the desktop. But after saving it, Rhino crashed again.

I’ve send in these crash reports a couple of times.

Hello - thanks for sending the crash reports, and can you please run SystemInfo in Rhino and paste the results here?

thanks,

-Pascal

This is what the SystemInfo says: (Rhino 5 worked on this computer without any issues. The problem started when I had to upgrade to Rhino 6 because of the educational license)

Rhino 6 SR12 2019-1-29 (Rhino 6, 6.12.19029.6381, Git hash:master @ ae9d7fba5fda0b43002dc44a34e059a9a382db04)
License type: Educational, build 2019-01-29
License details: Stand-Alone
Expires on: 2019-10-01

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 7.9Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-11VJ85L

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 6-16-2017 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.4.0 - Build 22.20.16.4708

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Intel
Render version: 4.4
Shading Language: 4.40 - Build 22.20.16.4708
Driver Date: 6-16-2017
Driver Version: 22.20.16.4708
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 1 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.12.19029.6381
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

I tried saving it to the desktop again. The first time via ‘save as’, it works. After pressing ‘save’ two times again I get this pop-up:

After pressing OK, Rhino crashes and I get the ‘Rhino error reporting’-window again.

Hello - thanks - I do not have a good idea yet. @brian - any brainstorms?

-Pascal

@m.m.derond did you send in your crash report using the same email address that you use to login to Discourse? If so, I can’t find the crash report in our system.

Yes and I got a reply on it from support@mcneel.com.

This is what I encounter

• I open rhino 6
  • choose the template for small object - millimeter
  • created a couple of spheres
  • “save as” to the desktop works
  • pres “save” one time
  • then the Rhinoceros 6 failed to save pops up
  • when I press OK, it has not saved my work
  • about 1 minute after the failed to save message, I get the “Rhino encountered a problem and needs to close” message (I’ve send in a new crash report, at the same time that I post this: Feb 12th at 9:27AM (UTC+1))

More info I can’t give you. I can repeat these exact steps and each time Rhino crashes, so its highly reproducible. I’ve tried reinstalling Rhino 6, doesn’t work either. I hope you can help me with this problem, because it’s very inconvenient for me that I am not able to do anything with Rhino at the moment.

I’ve seen this happen when saving is done to a networked location.

Is your profile (the user data, including the C:\Users\Maartje\Documents folder) such a networked location provided by your university?