V6 suggestion: Instant Zoom

This is something that we use all the time in WorkNC, and I believe, would be a welcome new feature in Rhino. In WorkNC, pressing the space bar makes an instant zoom on the current cursor location according to a zoom factor defined in the software settings. If you press ‘C’ it locks this zoom factor. Now I know the space bar is already spoken for in Rhino, but maybe this is something that could be tied to another key. As long as the key is held down, the zoom is in effect. Let go of the key and the previous zoom factor is restored (except, as mentioned above, if you intentionally lock it).

http://screencast.com/t/qQuOb4Q5HlM

I also find the mouse-over selection much faster than selecting in Rhino, and I have brought that up in the past as an enhancement request for an option to do that. I believe someone mentioned that they were testing that, but there were problems in some scenarios. Not sure if that fell off the radar or not, but I think it is something worth considering.

Thanks,

Dan

1 Like

Install the attached plugin and put ToggleZoom in the middle mouse button macro. Is that close enough?
You can change the zoom level using the ToggleZoomFactor command. It zooms in and then zooms out again if the viewport hasn’t changes. If you zoom in, then pan/rotate/zoom using other commands it will zoom in again instead of zooming out. If this is unwanted behaviour I can change it.

The pixel underneath the mouse is kept in the same place, so you won’t end up with the same view if you run ToggleZoom twice if you also move the cursor in between.

ToggleZoom.zip (3.8 KB)

Hi David,

Perhaps what the video failed to convey was that the instant zoom is a temporary condition that only exists while the key is held down. When you release the key, the zoom returns to normal. That is crucial to being advantageous to the user. It’s used when you are trying to make a selection of a tiny feature. In WorkNC, you just place you mouse close by, press the space bar and make your selection. Release, and you are back to the same zoom factor as you were a second or two before.

Also, I think zooming in after panning or rotating isn’t what the user would expect. I think I would rather go back to the previous zoom factor. Without mouse-over pre-picking like illustrated in the video, there still will be times to manipulate the view slightly to make a selection. Calling up ToggleZoom after this and zooming in closer won’t be useful, IMHO.

Thanks,

Dan

I should mention, that adding your command to a keyboard button (using an apostrophe to make it transparent) instead of the middle mouse button does get pretty close to the behaviour I described. However, if you togglezoom to make a selection, then togglezoom back out, the surfaces appear to unselect, but actually don’t.

Edit: I think that last comment is specific to some scripts I have created. Native Rhino commands still appear to maintain the selection appearance.

Thanks,

Dan

Yeah I can see how that would be quite nice to have. It’s beyond my skills to program as a plugin though…

Thanks for your efforts for this plug-in. If you could get it to not zoom in again if panning or rotating, I think we would have a pretty useful tool without having to wait for something better.

Dan

At what point should the second time you run the command not zoom out again? Or should it always zoom out after zooming in, no matter how much view manipulation the user performs in the meantime?

Always I would say.

“Always” makes the logic a lot simpler.
ToggleZoom.zip (3.2 KB)

Thanks David.

Thanks David for this useful plugin
Ciao Vittorio

Hi David,

Yes, this will work well. Should this be exposed outside of the Serengeti group? I think people would find this very useful.

Dan

I’ll put it up.