V6 Make 2d please bring back not to clip view

Hi,
I’m using the new make 2d but I need to get the old way of “not clipping the view” back. I specifically asked you guys not to get rid of that option but you went and did it anyway, now I’m dead in the water because I need to make a pattern for tonight and since it contains meshes I can’t go back to using the make2d v5 command. I don’t have these columns in 3dm format and I need the view of their capitals in the make 2d but they are outside the camera view, I need to be close up where the camera is and get all of the scene and not have it clipped, up to V5 I could do this I need the areas outside the camera view like in the old days this is crucial to much of my pattern work. Hope there is a setting I missed or someway to get it back quickly.
RM

Hi,
I tried using make 2dv5 command but it works the same way as the new v6 with different options, it includes meshes so this must be an over hauled command because I get the same view clipping as in the V6 make 2d command no difference.

Most likely you are wondering why I need this when the current behavior is what most people need/ want.

I use the make 2d of the perspective view like a perspective drawing. In a perspective drawing one can draw what is outside of ones camera view on the paper, it is merely outside the cone of vision and will be distorted but one can still draw it. Currently in V6 Rhinos viewport will clip the view and exclude linework/objects outside the camera view but in the old way all the objects were drawn even if they were outside the view and distorted. I really need this back as an option. For large scale set paintings we need to paint the distorted objects so that the viewer sees them as real size because the paintings are large but the viewer is up close and unlike a camera has a larger field of view, these distorted on the cone of visions edge type objects are really beautiful to paint and have a profound illusion on the audience.

In the past I used examples to show students why objects like columns become distorted on the edge of our vision in a perspective drawing pretty standard stuff but hard to understand when you start doing it. I try to teach my students the importance of where the viewer is, this is a hugely overlooked fine point in the art of painting and Rhino make2d also helps me explain it better.

Thanks and hope this makes sense.
RM

RM,
I believe it was in Rhino 4.0 that Make2d did not clip to the view in perspective views. In Rhino 5 and 6 I have been clipping to the view in perspective views,(I’ll explain below). I suggest you to the perspective view you are interested in and do a ZoomLens -Out until everything you want drawn is visible in the view. Then run Make2d for the -View. The zoom lens command leaves the camera location and camera frame fixed, only the left/right/bottom and top clipping planes are adjusted. So Make2D should produce exactly same results on the regions of the image that was in the original view.

I hope this solves your problem.

In perspective views I need to use a front clipping plane to clip away everything that is not sufficiently in front of the camera (as measured along the camera direction). This is a mathematical requirement because objects near the plane containing the camera will get exploded to indefinitely large size ( One common V4 Make2D bug was the results were microscopic because some object did not get clipped and got drawn very large then everything got scaled down to fit in some reasonable size). So the question is not whether to clip but where to clip. I decided to clip to what you see in the view port since that is an easy choice to communicate instead of some arbitrary location off screen that no one would ever understand how it works.

I think the ZoomLens technique should give you the results you need, if not please let me know.

Greg Arden

Incorrect information deleted.

If you are in a view with a Perspective Projection and have the properties dialog box up you will see that ZoomLens changes the Lens Length but not the camera location. Don’t worry about the size of the objects on the screen. If necessary scale the results after you run Make2D.

As Greg pointed out, zoomLens should do the same thing as changing it in viewport properties. It is important though that the camera position is NOT changed from one make2d to the next, as that will change the perspective. Just scale the results to get the correct size.

A great illustration of what will happen if you moved the camera to compensate for the changed resulting image size is the command dollyZoom (which you might recognize as a Hitchcock zoom).

Hi Greg,
Yes that solves it: joy:
The zoomlens out is what I needed, I didn’t know that would work. I’m so glad I can still do this in Rhino. I’ve been working in animation for a while and recently started doing large sets again entailing patterns. Ok that was in V4 I knew I kept it on my other computer for a reason.

Love the way the new make 2d is working and now that I know this trick I can forge a head and exploit all the goodies. Thanks for your hard work on this I really enjoy using it for my pattern work.

One request and I know maybe I’m the only one asking for this is it possible to get an option to create a vanishing point/s and a horizon line as part of the make 2d? Currently I extend lines until they intersect to find those.

Thanks for your fast help and for your explanations,
RM

Thanks David and Sam cool to know these things I want to try this Hitchcock trick in an animation thanks for pointing that out too.
RM