V6 Goal: Make2d overhaul

Did he give you any more guidance? What do you mean by “space behind the object”, and in what way does the line weight vary?

(I have my own answers to these questions, but I’m curious what yours are)

10 posts were split to a new topic: Make2D - depth awareness

Is it possible to make V6 2D copy and paste functions work across all platforms rather than using the export function, this is time consuming and creates unnecessary temporary files.

Could you explain what it is that is not working? I’m having problems understanding this one.

When I use Rhino in conjunction with AutoCAD LT, the only way to get a 2D image from Rhino is to export it in DWG format, then open the file in Autocad, to copy it and then paste it into the working drawing. If I were using the full version of AutoCAD with 3D functionality I could copy and paste the 2D image generated from a 3D model directly into the 2D drawing. Is there a away to bypass the export function?

I don’t know if i’m off topic, but, why in V6 we can’t choose the layers anymore?

1 Like

I have been constantly working on Make2d for the Rhino 6.0 WIP and believe we have made great advances from V5 and the product is ready for prime time.

Lately I have worked to improve the performance both in the large single polysurface case and the case of many objects. Most of this involved spreading the workload over multiple threads. I have also tweaked the progress reporting feedback that the command offers so the progress bar isn’t stuck at 0% or 99% as often as before.

I know there are features that people would like to have that have not been added. I think the top of this list is getting a closed curve from the intersection with clipping planes. These closed curves can then optionally make occluding geometry so cut objects appear capped in Make2D. Also the 2D-closed regions could be made hatched.

However, first I want to know what the problems are with the existing features. So please give it a try and let me know.

Greg Arden
Rhino Development

2 Likes

Having tested the new Make 2D function, I cant see what the scene silhouette function actually does apart from duplicating curves and placing them in a separate layer as I couldn’t see any difference in line weight unless this has to be done manually, having said that it occurred to me that this would only become apparent in print display “on” which on experience always turns off the print display when opening the model in another session. Also I noticed that when using the first and third angle projection feature it clipped the output and made a new layer called “clipping plane”, why it produced a clipping plane is a mystery it didn’t occur when using the Make 2D function in view mode. On making another attempt at first and third angle projection the issue resolved itself. I am curious to know why a clipping plane occurred in the first place, perhaps you have an explanation.

this is why I use a template flie, with all settings (like color, line weight, line type, ecc ecc) ready on some layers,
a small python script to rename the layers with the project name,
and then, launch make2D choosing the layers where rhino is going to put the lines.
But, unfortunately, I will not be able to do this on V6.

I make hundreds of 2D, It will be heavy to do everything manually.

I will stay with V5.

Hi Peter -
Correct - it figures out which curves are on the outline or silhouette and allows you to get at these separately from the rest - a tedious process in V5.

-Pascal

Hi Enzo - will it work to set up the layer names in your template according to V6 Make2D output, rename the layers with your script after the make2D is run?

@rajaa - any ideas?

-Pascal

Hi Enzo, you can still specify the top-level name, and if that exist (with all the sublayers and their properties), then this is where Make2D is going to put the results in. Is that helpful? if not, can you share a file example?

This is not happening here, what i’m doing wrong?

@pascal you’re right, I’ll take V6 Make2D output an then cahnge the settings with a script.

thank you.

The layers hierarchy/names of Make2D have changed in V6. Your template layers will need to be updated to match the new structure before it will work. Does that help?

I’ve noticed, I will update my script.

thank you @rajaa

I have been using rhino for many years and glad to see the development attention on the Make2d command. I haven’t kept up with the changes but would like to know if/when it will be possible to extract data from the 3D objects and have the command create text. For example the name of the object or the text information attached to an object from the SetUserText command or other. Is this possible for a plugin developer?

This would be extremely helpful to have the Make2d command start labeling objects. When working with the stations/frames of a boat, panels or others, it would be ideal to use the command and have some structure labels created in addition to the geometry.

Also I would like to see an option to automatically include the origin location via a point perhaps.

A little further out you might consider the Make2d output have history linked with the 3D object.

Thanks,
Danny

Yes, this would save me tons of work every week (ok - slightly exaggerating :slight_smile:)

Philip

This would technically already be possible using the new Make2D Grasshopper component. Just in case you’re already using Grasshopper or needing a reason to jump in :wink:

1 Like

Currently in the WIP, if you add a user text to an object, then this information is passed to the projected curves created by Make2D. Is that what you need?

Do you mean that a point object representing the location of the origin be added every time Make2D run?