V6 Goal: Display Performance

27 posts were split to a new topic: Poor Display Performance on One Computer

@Holo,

What are you seeing for times in V6 on your TextDot test from Aug 2014 now in Feb. 2017?
I am using a 4K display running at full resolution of 3840x2160.
For 30x30 I am getting 0.36 sec with no redraw, 5.08 sec with redraw on.
For 100x100 I am getting 2.95 sec with no redraw, 5.84 sec with redraw on.
For 200x200, 26.83 sec no redraw and 8.19 sec with redraw on, for first run.
For 200x200, 13.78 sec no redraw and 8.14 sec with redraw on, for second run.
For 300x300, 8.75 sec no redraw and 148.63 sec with redraw on, for first run.
For 300x300, 7.50 sec no redraw and 13.47 sec with redraw on, for second run.
The times seem to be dependent upon prior operations; some second runs are faster than the first. The times in V6 are much faster than what you reported back in 2014.

On the other hand, I am getting really slow display performance for other tasks in V6; 400% slower than V5 when creating rectangular curve, then make it a shape, then extrude it to a slab and doing Boolean subtraction with another slab to create a cavity.

My system is a Lenovo laptop i7 6500U, 2.59 GHz turbo, 16 GB memory, 64-bit Windows 10. No discrete graphics card.

Below is a copy of the Python code I used.

import rhinoscriptsyntax as rs
import time
from time import time
n=100

rs.CurrentView("Perspective")
strView=rs.CurrentView()
startime = time()
rs.EnableRedraw(False)
for i in range(n):
    for ii in range(n):
        rs.AddTextDot(str(i)+","+str(ii), (i,ii,0))
rs.EnableRedraw(True)
rs.CurrentView(strView)
rs.ZoomExtents(strView)
endtime = time()
print 'TextDot time = {:.3f} '.format(endtime-startime)
#
# Runs in 5.844 sec with EnableRedraw(True)
# Runs in 2.947 sec with EnableRedraw(False)
#

2 posts were split to a new topic: Rebuilding Meshes

17 posts were split to a new topic: Slow Display

A bug I see quite often is that “Reflection Polish” stops working in rendered mode.
So I have to close WIP and open it again.

Also SubD objects sometimes flicker dark or appears as dark after an object is unhidden. I have to navigate the view (pan, zoom) for the real color to show again.

@micha, please see my post on GPU tessellation at. We were running tests on your bike model and saw pretty massive performance improvements for wireframe drawing. Results will most likely vary from GPU to GPU.

2 Likes

This should not be the case anymore for polysurface and extrusion wires with the GPU tessellation option. See:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a really big step forward. I’m very impressed!!!

Also my current heavy production models can be easy manipulated now. It’s like Christmas and birthday at the same day. :slight_smile:

@stevebaer , thank you for the note to me.

2 Likes

That makes my day to hear; great!! Thank you for testing. I’m assuming you are on an nVidia GPU?

I was seeing around 3x improvements with my newer Intel Iris GPU, but one of Jeff’s fancier nVidia cards was seeing TestMaxSpeed go from 10 seconds to under 1 second for wireframe with that model.

Yes, I use a GTX780 here. The bike model is from 12s down to 2s, so it’s approx. 6 times faster now. And working with heavy models is like working with light models. It’s so great, since my model complexity is extremely grown over the last years. I’m happy.

For further improvements - I tested my worst model and it works better too. I see a working dynamic switch to wireframe mode. That’s fine, I missed it at Rhino 5. Only the time for switching between both modes is approx. 1.5s and could be faster. Maybe it can be optimized. Interesting is that my GTX780 is used at max 37%. (It’s a very heavy model. It’s not the typical complexity of my daily use.)

1 Like

Yep, when this works it blows away the old display speed. I’m still seeing problems with AMD and am setting up a test computer with an AMD card to see if there is anything we can figure out that we are doing wrong on that hardware.

Is your “worst” model composed of more than just polysurfaces and extrusions? I haven’t implemented tessellation on curves yet and blocks still need some love.

Here ya go. Please see this post

It’s a detailed train model, each wagon from a separate linked block file.

Thank you Steve… rushing my breakfast to get to the office to try it out !

stevebaer mcneel@discoursemail.com schrieb am Do., 4. Mai 2017, 06:51:

Steve,

unbelievable!
I tried with 10 of the bicycles, speed is as lightning.
Very very cool.

But I found a problem:
The isocurve settings don’t work anymore.

Charles

1 Like

That one is reported here: :wink:

Thank you Wim, I didn’t see.

I now tried with polygon models.
Impressive performance.

Hi, the display performance with WIP used to be faster than 5.0 on my laptop but now this is not the case.

I tried the GPU tesselation, but for shaded with edges it makes no difference.
(nvidia settings are on max preformance etc.)

Laptop specs:
Windows 10
2,30ghz
16 gb
64-bit

NVIDIA Corporation
Quadro K1100M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 377.35
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: NA
Driver Version: NA

Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 64 MB

Anything I can do?

Regards

Can you share the model you are using for testing?

@steve,

There is something that I have been noticing for a while in V6 WIP display: after each view change (zoom, RMB-rotate), Rhino pauses for 0.5-1s (longer in shaded modes), before it gets responsive again. This is in more complex models, a simple models work fine. This is not dependent on AA, Shadows, GPU Tesselation (tried a lot of combinations) - this is not a new problem, before it was not bothering so much since I didn’t try to do real work in V6. Now is makes is really difficult, this micro-pause after each view change. The speeds within the move sequence before releasing RMB are much faster and nice now, but the lag between the moves is killing all the joy. V5 works fine here with zero-delays. Wondering if anyone else is seeing similar thing. Updated the drivers today, still the same:

NVIDIA Corporation
GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 382.05
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 5-1-2017
Driver Version: 22.21.13.8205

Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 6 GB