V-Ray for Grasshopper: Material from File Path?

How can I feed the V-Ray Geometry node a material as a path to a .vrmat, just as V-Ray Material from File can?

I need to dynamically update the Material in different animation steps, so the component to select a file is not useable. The output out of it seems to be just a file path, but obviously something else is going on in the background.

Is there a way to just give the V-Ray Geometry component a path to a V-Ray material or another node to load a V-Ray Material from a file path (but where I just input a path and not select it in a file browser window).

Not having a way to just input a path means any sort of batch rendering where a material might change from Grasshopper is not possible, which would be a real shame. Surely Grasshopper should enable to do things that are not possible in Rhino.

Hi,

you can’t plug strings into the VGeo component. It looks like the MtlFromFile’s output is a string, because its ToString() method is overridden to display a string.

well, it is certainly possible, just plug the string in the “Material from File” component. GH does not display a input bump on the left side, but it is there.

Multiple inputs for animation workflows is also easily achievable:

in this situation - certainly it is not

No doubt about that

1 Like