V-Ray 3.60.01 is now available!

Hi Boris,

I didn’t know that we are in Rhino RC state. Are you sure? So far I know Rhino 6 is released and only SR will follow. We are in Rhino 6.1 RC2 state.

Stability is one of my most needed aspects too. The beta testing of VfR of the last 12 years shows me that a good testing is the best basic for a stable use during projects. Couldn’t we start the nightly betas again, also for Rhino 6?

VfR2 is rocksolid, I need it for projects and it’s a risk to jump to VfR3.6. Over the years I reported hundred of bugs and I would be glad to bring 3.6 to the old stability too. The best chance is to parallel use of VfR2 at Rhino5 and VfR3 at Rhino6.

Will we get the chance of a second SR for VfR a few weeks after VfR3.6 for Rhino 6 is released? Understand me, in the last years I lost my trust in the VfR development. VfR3 was released with a long ugly bug list in the background and fixes needed ages, since the development jumped to the SU and Revit version.
But things changed and I hope the new development team will more frequent release service releases. Is this hope right? Or are the Rhino user still in the third row? I would be glad to restart a powerful beta testing.

Please, start at Rhino 6 too.

3 Likes

Yes, we will start nightlies for Rhino 6.
Rh6 is in RC2 Rhino 6 Release Candidate 2 Available
And live updates are breaking V-Ray constantly. So we need to have stable API in Rh6 to release VRay.
rhino_wip_crash
Screenshot is from the latest update. Just yesterday.

I understand. Glad to hear nightlies will come again.

I hope I found time to deinstall VfR2 for a day and start testing VfR3.

You should have done that months ago, dude. :wink:

Jonas

1 Like

I did it, but the last version caused to much trouble for my complex models and tight deadlines and so I jumped back. But I hope 3.6 and the next SR will bring the old known VfR stability. :wink:

Rhino 6 has been out already for over a week, see: Rhino 6 download live . The API is stable.

We are already working towards the first service release (6.1).

/Nathan

P.S. with questions regarding render engine integration don’t hesitate to ask me or @andy

1 Like

@boris.simandoff I installed v3.6 and run in a lot of old and new problems. For me it looks like a lot of work is needed to stabilize the plugin. I post a first list at the chaosgroup forum. I would be glad if the long expected stabilization would start now. No new features are needed, only the current set needs a lot of fixes to bring back the old productivity. Please look through my old bug reports of V3 and V3.4 too.

Also I hope we can talk about the UI. I suppose so a lot of your old beta testers would like to come back for this topic. At the moment to much sub-sub menus are used, to much screen space is needed and options are scattered. I’m sure, your beta tester team could strong help to enhance the UI. At the moment it looks like it’s done designed by an unser. Don’t be bother about my words. The new UI looks nice, but isn’t so right useful yet.

Sorry, I’m back to VFR2 now. I have no problem to wait some weeks for a Rhino 6 version now, in the time a lot work is waiting for your team. :wink:

“only in secondary” from material options has disappeared after update.

You can use the new material type, ‘override material’.

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYRHINO/Override+Material+|+MtlOverride

You get the same effect like the simple option “only in secondary”?

Only I can hope it will come back, I used it very often. Small air plane lavatory design need it. Best would be if this option could be enabled at a new object properties tab, but this would need a new object properties UI.

Override material is no option in any way. You can’t hide object and just show it in reflections with it.

Yes, object properties tab would be good place to have it. Under V-Ray tab, like Brazil has visibility options there for GI, reflections, refractions etc.

is this what you want to get?

From what I understand, the issue of not easily being able to see which layer name you are applying a material to, if its a sublayer, persists. And no drag and drop. Its a complete failure usability wise, and the fact, that after so many user has remarked it, and still not fixed after 1 year, doesn’t seem too promising…

Aaa, sorry, it can be done. But why it has been removed from material options where it was in previous version. Now I have scenes that have objects with “only in secondary” on, but nowhere to take it off.

2 Likes

Hi Peter,

I have just installed 3.6 for use on R5.

However, when I try to start Grasshopper in R6 this happens:

Also, when in Hybrid mode GPU 1 is completely redundant.
(GPU 0 = Titan X; GPU 1 = 980Ti)

Using CPU mode emissive textures display correctly, but these disappear in GPU or Hybrid modes.

It is currently not possible to have V-Ray for Grasshopper installed on Rhino 5 and have clean Grasshopper in Rhino 6. To fix the issue, you would have to uninstall V-Ray and reinstall it by skipping Grasshopper.
This will be completely resolved in the upcoming v3.60.02.

Regarding the GPU issue - both of them should be utilized when using the CUDA renderer.
Emissive materials are also supported on GPU (apart from a special case with opacity). Please send an email at support@chaosgroup.com with a sample project (use V-Ray > Pack Project) for further investigation as well as a full progress log of an attempt to render using both GPUs.

Kind regards,
Peter Chaushev
V-Ray for Rhino QA
www.chaosgroup.com

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. I have had to revert back to 3.4 to get some work done to meet deadlines.

I will reinstall 3.6 over the weekend, and try to send something through to you.

Here you can read about supported/unsupported features

I just gave 3.6 a try and unfortunately window focus still seems to be all over the place, but not where it should be. Sometimes you have to click inside the viewport or even in the command bar multiple times to get Rhino to register your key input. I was hoping for the update to resolve this…

Are the developers aware of this? I remember reading about this topic either here or in the vray forums (cant find the thread right now). Is anyone else still experiencing it (just to rule out, that its my setup)?