UVW map exporting to FBX

Thanks for the report, I see that too as well as custom UVs not being correct. I’ve filed both issues here
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-32867
http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-32866

I don’t see this here using OBJ and either Export or SaveAs. I am using the latest internal build of Rhino though since there likely won’t be another v5 service release. I can get the “.001” material suffix in Blender if I had previously tested an import with the same material name. Maybe that’s it on your end too.

I know what you mean, I don’t know if we could write out a Blender instance or for that matter any of the other poly modelers instance definitions. My hunch is Blender might be the most accessible… I wonder if it would be possible using Python in Rhino. We’d need a developer who knows both platforms and the only one I know of is @nathanletwory who is currently absorbed by the Rhino Cycles project.

Glad I could help.

No no, It’s like “material” and “material_2” and happens only when material is assigned to object, not by layer. I test my fbx import on fresh blender run every time.

Instances from 3dsmax are exported as instances in fbx and it imports fine in blender. That’s why it was obvious association, but of course in Rhino there is no “original” block so it differs a bit.

Weird, I don’t see that here. Post a 3dm and the resulting OBJ if you can and I’ll see if I can help more or file a bug.

If FBX has a concept of instances then it should be possible to write blocks as instances I suppose. This has in itself not much to do with Blender, but one could indeed compare dataflow and get started from there.

/Nathan

Hi guys.
I also want this same combination, importing rhino to UE4 but even though I use rhino daily for the last few years, I am somewhat lost in parts of this conversation. I was wondering if anyone would be kind to make a quick video on how they go about importing rhino into UE4? That would be some tremendously great.

I exported to fbx and that didnt import well, the object look ok but is invisible and it seems to not matter if I scale it or not. OBJ import is more succesful, the materials are not imported but at least I can see shapes in gamemode. The problem is though that they seems to be fixed to the horizon.

Anyways, I will make a video myself (camtasia is supereasy) and post when I have figured it out but so far no go.

I’m curious to know how this thread has panned out. I Very much prefer to use Rhino for modeling, and have encountered many of the same issues here.

My current workflow involves many different processes, and if there were a more streamlined method I would like to see.

Some of my want’s/desires for Rhino to UE4:

• Exporting fbx from rhino to rotate the scene on the project origin to -90 in the X axis. This seems like an easy fix, but I’m not a programmer
  • UV Unwrapping/Vertex welding carrying over to UE4
  • Material/Texture carryover, i.e. I use Maxwell in Rhino for static renderings, if I could carry that material over to UE4 it would save a lot of time

I hope Rhino 6 will address a lot of these issues. Many clients are starting to request VR deliverables so a smooth or at least more friendly interchange between programs is becoming necessary.

Hi Mike -
This bit you can do in a macro that flips, exports and then undoes the flip:

! _Rotate3d _Pause w0,0,0 w1,0,0 90 SelNone _SelLast _Export _Pause _Undo

-Pascal

1 Like

@nathanletwory: I’ve checked and collada exporter creates instances, fbx doesn’t

@BrianJ:
I don’t see this here using OBJ and either Export or SaveAs. I am using the latest internal build of Rhino though since there likely won’t be another v5 service release. I can get the “.001” material suffix in Blender if I had previously tested an import with the same material name. Maybe that’s it on your end too.

But it was fbx I was testing, not obj. Here is simple scene showing bug, just export fbx and import to blender: box_mat_export_bug.3dm (34.4 KB)

I see that indeed two materials are created in the FBX. This is easy to see if you open the saved file in a text editor. You’ll find both White Matte and White Matte_2 in the file. No need to import in any other software to find that out :slight_smile:

For the material duplication I reported RH-37769. For Rhino WIP I also have a patch ready to handle it. Don’t know about Rhino 5.

edit: I merged fix for duplicate materials to Rhino WIP, should be in the following public release.

edit2: @AlexP a new public Rhino WIP has been released with a fix for duplicate material problem. Could you please test and report back? Thank you.

/Nathan

Bump @AlexP

Hi Brian,

the issue tracker indicates that the problem of Rhino not exporting multiple UV channels to FBX is still open, but as this thread is a year old I hope you don’t mind me asking if this is still in the works?

Thanks

Hi Ben,

I don’t have any more info on when these will get looked into by the developers. Sorry. I will add a comment that you are still hoping for a fix.

Hi Brian,

understood, thank you.

RH-32867 (export multiple mapping channels with FBX) is the one I am mostly interested in, in case this makes a difference.

RH-32866 is fixed in the latest Service Release Candidate

@nathanletwory I know you are busy with many rendering features such as reimplementing Cycles in Rhino (which seems like a huge amount of work) but before, and even after it happens, many users are exporting their stuff to external programs such as Unreal Engine.

YouTrack shows that you are the one who can solve multiple UV export problems. It’s already 6 years old… Please if you can move it up in the queue.

Unless you incorporate a complete game engine into Rhino or the market’s best offline rendering system I will need to export geometry out of Rhino.
I think it’s unlikely in the foresome future, so please make it easier to export our job when it’s time to change the production environment.

Good, feature-rich FBX and OBJ export are important, but there is also a Datasmith export plugin for Rhino and UE4. It’s pretty good and If a user could export multiple UV’s straight out of Rhino to UE, then it would be really cool.

Most of the things are already there, but I’m trapped with them inside!

2 Likes

I may look at this sooner than 8.x, but no promises.

The reason that I was in the YouTrack issue relatively recently is that I made a mistake in YT ID usage. I fixed a separate, but tangentially related, problem.

Anyway, for improvements in the Datasmith plug-in you can contact Epic to see if you can expedite work there.

Understood. Sorry for being impatient. :slight_smile:

So, all-sufficient data is available for the external plugin makers already without any actions from the McNeel staff? Sorry, I don’t know what exactly is exposed for them.

Datasmith is what I often use, but was just an example.
I doubt that anyone outside of McNeel will work on the Fbx exporter though.
Right now, it seems that most features have Obj export, but the Obj format itself is pretty limited.

Could the Rhino team bet on one modern and widely used file format which could have all the features needed when exporting meshes?
Which one could be a good candidate, one with a bright future maybe glTF?

The RhinoCommon SDK holds all pieces necessary for devs to create external plug-ins that can do proper UV map exports, including the devs of Datasmith.

Regarding glTF @Joshua_Kennedy has been working on the glTF exporter (and importer I think) started by @aske , dev talk on that plug-in appears to be happening in the thread glTF-BinExport.

You can find that plug-in through the Rhino Package manager (Tools > Package manager…, or the Rhino command _PackageManager.

Not sure what the current status is of UV support, but I’m sure @Joshua_Kennedy will be able to enlighten us.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the glTF exporter currently suffers from the same issue with multiple mapping channels. I did receive some help with this from @PeterKrattenmacher but I did not feel the changes were adequate to solve the issue. I’m going to take another look at this when I get the chance.