UV mapping widget bug

Hello, I’ve been trying to map this sample texture over this mesh object but there is some weird stuff happening whenever I try to use the UV Mapping widget. I also tried transforming the object into a SubD with quadremesh but I got the same result.

After tweaking and playing with the tile repetitions I managed to make it work but I couldn’t find what was the trigger that ended the bug from happening.

I’m uploading the files I used and a couple of videos trying to show a little of what’s happening.

Rhino 7 SR10 2021-9-13 (Rhino 7, 7.10.21256.17001, Git hash:master @ 68677dc86520a0de9485d8b8fa2e841e757733f3)
License type: Educational, build 2021-09-13
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.19043 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 3-10-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 461.92
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

Secondary graphics devices.
Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 9-5-2020 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 3-10-2021
Driver Version: 27.21.14.6192
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\QuadRemesh\QuadRemesh.rhp “QuadRemesh” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.10.21256.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\import_OBJ.rhp “Import_OBJ” 7.10.21256.17001

Car EF - Test 1 Bug.3dm (7.1 MB)
Scan 1 - Mirror remesh.obj (1.1 MB)
COLOURBOX41006537|500x500, 100%

Hi @gszechter,

I think the main issue is that the mesh didn’t have UVs already. I also would use a custom Unwrap here instead. See if this quick video helps…

2 Likes

Thank you so much Brian, I didn’t know that for disjoint meshes I had to unwrap them first to get a clean result (As you mentioned, this one had complex boundaries so seam selection wasn’t an option, that’s why I didn’t try it).

I’ll play with it a little to see if I can handle the texture projection properly now that the parts distribute differently because of being unwrapped.

1 Like

Is there an automatic way of organizing the islands on the UV editor in order to keep the relationship between them the same as in the 3D model or does that process have to be done manually?

Hi @BrianJ

Is there such a command in Rhino ?

Optimize patterns

The process is manual but you can use Rhino commands on those meshes in the UVeditor. So Align or Distribute may be helpful.

No, there isn’t but you might try Squish instead which reports the compression and expansion percent. Area can then be run to see the difference too.

1 Like

Great, thank you very much Brian, the video you uploaded was really helpful.

1 Like

One more question, as you may have seen in the video I uploaded (at some point without unwrapping the mesh) the UV projection resulted in a continuous flow of the texture between the car parts. So my question here is if that’s something possible to achieve without the hassle of the “bugging” part, maybe there is something in the Rhino code to be fixed there so that can happen without the unwrapping and so the unrolled parts are kept organized.

I’m asking this because while the parts unrolled properly on the texture with your method they did not achieve the desired continuity (What they actually had achieved on my “bugged” way of doing it), since doing it manually has not given me the best results yet and it takes a lot of time to get them right.

Regards,

WCS is like a giant box around the model with the texture projected from all six planes. You can simulate the same thing by using Box mapping for all the meshes at once like this. The one thing to consider though is the errors where the six projections intersect as noted. This is where custom UVs are superior but Box mapping is faster and may be fine for what you need.

1 Like

Hello Brian, thanks for reaching out again. I was referring to the UV Mapping only, when the parts projected over the UV map but they were still connected with each other (This happens without unwrapping them but with the problems stated above), it would be great to figure out why it projects better this way so it could actually happen but without the errors that appeared in my video.

Best Regards,

The mapping only looked right at certain large scales in your video because you set it to be a planar projection. So at .001 you didn’t see much stretching on the rear bumper. The mapping needs to be custom unwrapped UVs in my opinion here to get the flow of the texture across the various panels. I’d use the Symmetry Tip option in the Unwrap command as well to get the islands straight and then align them as shown in the attached version.

CarMesh_CustomUVs.3dm (1.3 MB)

I wasn’t able to reproduce the texture display error in the UVeditor at small repeat values with planar mapping but if I can, I will file it as a bug. Thanks for the report.

1 Like

Sounds good, Symmetry Tip helped a lot. Thank you Brian for all your support :slight_smile:

Regards,

1 Like