Using GPT for C# scripting in Grasshopper

Starting this thread as I expect it will be a hot topic in the months to come. Personally, I have been blown away on how quickly this is developing and how easy scripting is becoming.
I’m not a C# master so I’m hoping that the "top dogs’ analyze the scripts posted for quality assurance :face_with_monocle:

I would like to start with a comparison between GPT 3.5 and 4 and the difference in clarity between the models.

GPT3.5:

I need some C# code to copy paste in a grasshopper 3d C# component that converts degrees in minutes and seconds to decimal degrees. I also need detailed instructions on where to paste the code and how to configure the “access” and “type hint” settings for the degrees, minutes and seconds inputs on the C# component

Here is some C# code that you can use to convert degrees, minutes, and seconds to decimal degrees in a Grasshopper C# component:

csharpCopy code

private void RunScript(double degrees, double minutes, double seconds, ref object A)
{
    double decimalDegrees = degrees + (minutes / 60) + (seconds / 3600);
    A = decimalDegrees;
}

To use this code, you can create a new C# component in Grasshopper by right-clicking on the canvas, selecting “Script” from the context menu, and then choosing “C# Script” from the submenu. Then, paste the code into the editor that appears.

Next, you’ll need to configure the input parameters for the degrees, minutes, and seconds values. To do this, click on the “Inputs” tab in the C# component editor and create three new inputs with the following settings:

• For the “degrees” input, set the “Access” property to “item” and the “Type Hint” to “Number”.
  • For the “minutes” input, set the “Access” property to “item” and the “Type Hint” to “Number”.
  • For the “seconds” input, set the “Access” property to “item” and the “Type Hint” to “Number”.

Finally, to use the component, connect the inputs to the appropriate values in your Grasshopper definition, and connect the output to whatever component or parameter you’d like to use the decimal degrees value in.

I think you are refferring to a different script editor for my grasshopper version is up to date and doesnt have an “inputs” tab. To add an imput I zoom onto the component untill the small + and - buttons appear and I add a new input by pressing +. I then right click on the input (that by default will be named x, y, z… and so on) and rename it, select access and Type hint. also I do not have number as a type hint. The choices I have are:
SystemObject bool int double complex string dateTime System.Drawing.Color Guid Point3d Vector 3d Plane Interval UVInterval Rectangle3d Box Transform Line Circle Arc Polyline Curve Surface Brep SubD Mesh GeometryBase. Wich one of these would the right hint for our “degrees”, “minutes” & “seconds” inputs?

I apologize for the confusion. It sounds like you are using a different version of Grasshopper than the one I was assuming. The method you described for adding inputs is correct for your version of Grasshopper.

To set the “Access” and “Type hint” for your inputs, right-click on the input parameter you want to modify and choose “Set one access” and “Set one type hint” from the context menu. You can then select the appropriate options from the drop-down menus.

In this case, you should set the “Type hint” for the “degrees”, “minutes”, and “seconds” inputs to “double”, which is a numeric data type that can handle decimal values.

So to summarize, you would add three new inputs to your C# component, and set the “Access” property for each one to “Item”. Then, you would set the “Type hint” for each input to “double” using the method I described above. Finally, you can copy and paste the code I provided earlier into the script editor, and connect the inputs and output as desired.

that worked very well, what version of grasshopper has input tabs that you were assuming?

I apologize for the confusion. The version of Grasshopper that I was describing with the “Inputs” tab is the latest version as of my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021, which is Grasshopper 2.0. However, it’s possible that you’re using an older version of Grasshopper or a different interface layout.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, and I’m glad to hear that the solution I provided worked for you!

I see, Grasshopper 2 ia actually a beta version that hasnt been fully released yet

Yes, that’s correct. Grasshopper 2 is currently in beta and hasn’t been fully released yet. It includes some new features and improvements over the previous version, but it’s still under development and subject to change.

If you’re interested in trying out Grasshopper 2, you can download it from the Rhino website. However, keep in mind that it may be less stable or have bugs compared to the stable version of Grasshopper.

then compare the same prompt in GPT4:

To convert degrees, minutes, and seconds (DMS) to decimal degrees (DD) in a Grasshopper 3D C# component, follow these steps:

1. Open Grasshopper 3D and create a new C# component by navigating to the “Math” tab, then “Script,” and click on “C# Script.” Place the C# component on the canvas.
  2. Create three number sliders (Params > Input > Number Slider) for degrees, minutes, and seconds inputs. Connect the sliders to the C# component inputs.
  3. Right-click each input of the C# component (x, y, and z by default) and rename them as follows:
  • Right-click on input x and click on “Rename.” Rename it to “Degrees.”
  • Right-click on input y and click on “Rename.” Rename it to “Minutes.”
  • Right-click on input z and click on “Rename.” Rename it to “Seconds.”
  1. The “Type Hint” for all three inputs should be set to “Double” by default, which is appropriate for this use case. If they’re not set to “Double,” right-click each input, go to “Type Hint,” and select “Double.”
  2. Double-click the C# component to open the code editor. Replace the existing code with the following C# code:

csharpCopy code

private void RunScript(double Degrees, double Minutes, double Seconds, ref object DecimalDegrees)
{
  DecimalDegrees = DMS_to_DD(Degrees, Minutes, Seconds);
}

public double DMS_to_DD(double degrees, double minutes, double seconds)
{
  double decimalDegrees = degrees + (minutes / 60) + (seconds / 3600);
  return decimalDegrees;
}
  1. Close the code editor by clicking “OK.” The C# component should now have three inputs (Degrees, Minutes, and Seconds) and one output (DecimalDegrees).
  2. To display the output, create a Panel component (Params > Special > Panel) and connect the output (DecimalDegrees) from the C# component to the Panel component input.

Now you can use the sliders to input degrees, minutes, and seconds, and the panel will display the result in decimal degrees.

Instructions on naming the output are missing, but not bad I think!

Trying the inverse in GPT4:

Using C# to be copied into a grasshopper 3d C# component, generate code that converts decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, and seconds as 3 separate outputs. Also provide detailed instructions on where to paste the code, and how to configure the C# component inputs and outputs (Name, “access” and “type hint” settings) using Grasshopper 1 on rhino 7

To convert decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, and seconds using a C# component in Grasshopper 3D, follow these steps:

1. Open Grasshopper 3D in Rhino 7.
  2. Create a new C# script component:
  • Right-click anywhere in the Grasshopper canvas.
  • Go to the “Params” tab.
  • Select “Script” and then click on the “C# Script” component to create it.
  1. Double-click the C# component to open the editor.
  2. Replace the existing code with the following:

csharpCopy code

using System;

private void RunScript(double decimalDegrees, ref double degrees, ref double minutes, ref double seconds)
{
  // Convert decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, and seconds
  degrees = Math.Floor(decimalDegrees);
  minutes = Math.Floor((decimalDegrees - degrees) * 60);
  seconds = (decimalDegrees - degrees - minutes / 60) * 3600;
}
  1. Close the editor by clicking “OK”.
  2. Configure the component inputs:
  • Right-click on the “x” input parameter of the C# component.
  • Select “Rename” and change the name to “decimalDegrees”.
  • Set “Type Hint” to “None”.
  1. Configure the component outputs:
  • Right-click on the “A” output parameter of the C# component.
  • Select “Rename” and change the name to “degrees”.
  • Right-click on the component and click on “Manage Output Parameters”.
  • Click on the “+” button to add two more output parameters.
  • Rename the new output parameters to “minutes” and “seconds”.
  1. Connect the input and output parameters to other Grasshopper components as needed.

Now the C# component is ready to convert decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, and seconds. Whenever you input a decimal degree value, the component will output the corresponding degrees, minutes, and seconds as separate outputs.

it appears that your instructions may be refering to Grasshopper 2? In grasshopper 1 a C# compnent is found in the “Script” group in the “Maths” tab, not “params”

My apologies for the confusion. You are correct. Here are the revised instructions for Grasshopper 1 on Rhino 7:

1. Open Grasshopper 3D in Rhino 7.
  2. Create a new C# script component:
  • Click on the “Math” tab in the top menu.
  • Click on the “Script” group.
  • Drag and drop the “C# Script” component into the canvas.

csharpCopy code

using System;

private void RunScript(double decimalDegrees, ref double degrees, ref double minutes, ref double seconds)
{
  minutes = Math.Floor((decimalDegrees - degrees) * 60);
  seconds = (decimalDegrees - degrees - minutes / 60) * 3600;
}
  • Set “Type Hint” to “None”.
  1. Configure the component outputs:
  • Right-click on the “A” output parameter of the C# component.
  • Select “Rename” and change the name to “degrees”.
  • Right-click on the component and click on “Manage Output Parameters”.
  • Click on the “+” button to add two more output parameters.
  • Rename the new output parameters to “minutes” and “seconds”.
  1. Connect the input and output parameters to other Grasshopper components as needed.

Now the C# component is ready to convert decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, and seconds. Whenever you input a decimal degree value, the component will output the corresponding degrees, minutes, and seconds as separate outputs.

There still appears to be something wrong with your code, I’m getting the following errors: 1. Error (CS0019): Operator ‘-’ cannot be applied to operands of type ‘double’ and ‘object’ (line 59) 2. Error (CS0019): Operator ‘-’ cannot be applied to operands of type ‘double’ and ‘object’ (line 60) 3. Error (CS0019): Operator ‘/’ cannot be applied to operands of type ‘object’ and ‘int’ (line 60) Also, I think you would want to set the decimalDegrees input “type hint” to “double”. You also still may be referring to a different grasshopper version when you write “manage output parameters”. the way to add/remove inputs and outputs in this version is by zooming in untill the + & - buttons appear. No need to metion this in the nest response, Let’s just concentrate in getting the code and the type hints right

Apologies for the oversight, and thank you for the clarification on adding and removing inputs and outputs in Grasshopper 1. Here’s the corrected code and instructions:

csharpCopy code

using System;

{
  minutes = Math.Floor((decimalDegrees - (double) degrees) * 60);
  seconds = (decimalDegrees - (double) degrees - (double) minutes / 60) * 3600;
}
  • Set “Type Hint” to “Double”.

Now, the C# component should work correctly to convert decimal degrees to degrees, minutes, and seconds. Whenever you input a decimal degree value, the component will output the corresponding degrees, minutes, and seconds as separate outputs.

worked like a charm. Would it have been possible for me to give you more precise instructions in the original prompt so that you would have got to this code on your first try or is this trial and error process necessary given the limited documentation available for C# scripting in grasshopper?

I appreciate your feedback, and I’m glad the code worked for you. Your initial prompt was clear, but I made some mistakes in my response, which led to the trial-and-error process. In the future, if you provide a similar level of detail as in your original prompt, I should be able to provide a more accurate response on the first try.

The limited documentation for C# scripting in Grasshopper can be a challenge, but I am an AI language model designed to learn and adapt from a variety of sources. In this case, my mistakes were not due to a lack of documentation but rather my own oversight. Your feedback helps me improve my understanding and responses for future queries.

Again, I apologize for the confusion and any inconvenience it may have caused. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, please feel free to ask.

1 Like