Using a Skin

Hi,

I’m trying to use a skin in my plug-in, but i’m facing a couple of problems.

First, I followed all the steps in the different topics and examples and I have managed to get it working in Rhino 64bit, but not in 32 that is my real target.

I have noticed that in the registry, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Rhino only creates an entry for “5.0x64”, but not for “5.0”, like it does in “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” for example, so I can only set the “SkinDLLPath” in the “5.0x64”.

I tried to manually create a “5.0” entry and set the “SkinDLLPath” there too, but didn’t worked.

The other doubt I have is concerning the PersistentSettings. If I want my plug-in to be launched with a particular set of options, do I have to modify these settings in the registry entry for my scheme? or can I use the PersistentSettings class in someway to achieve this? If not, what can I use this class for?

Thanks, Chema

(Dale Fugier) #2

On a 64-bit version of Windows running 32-bit Rhino 5, you will need to add the registry entry in the Wow6432Node key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Thank you, It works now. Any insight about the PersistentSettings?

(Dale Fugier) #4

Rhino stores persistent settings in “Scheme” keys found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER (for the currently logged in user). If you want your plug-in launched with a set of settings, then you plug-in should recognize the first time it is loaded, in a particular scheme, and then set whatever settings are required.

I tried to change some registry values for the scheme using the persistent settings object of the skin, but it seems they are not interconnected.

I don’t want to change the values directly in the registry because the program would need to be launched with administrator privileges.

(Dale Fugier) #6

Ideally, this key would be created by an installer.

(Steve Baer) #7

That is correct, the PersistentSettings class and the registry are not connected.

The problem arises when the skin doesn’t exist in the installation. I create only the folders and keys needed for the parameters I want to change in the current user. These are:

Options->DisplayAttributesManager->ff608b97-81d3-4186-831c-41f7dc140881->Objects->Meshes->ShowMeshWires->n
Options->DisplayAttributesManager->ff608b97-81d3-4186-831c-41f7dc140881->Objects->Surfaces->ShowIsocurves->n

But when I launch Rhino with the skin the first time (and the skin is created correctly) these values get overwritten.

(Dale Fugier) #9

I don’t believe these values are being overwritten. Rather, these values do not exist in the scheme being used.

More on Rhino Schemes:

http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/schemes

Ok, I solved all of this using a .reg file. Thank you!!