Useless warning

If you’re havin’ Olivier problems, I feel bad for you, son I got 99 problems, but a French man ain’t one.

1 Like

How bout a pseudo-frenchman?

-Pascal

You are better that pseudo-French. You are French toast.

2 Likes

Nice website you got there, Poncherello :

2 Likes

Hi Pascal,

Indeed, it’s happenin’

There 'ya go :
Large Objects - Millimeters.3dm (26.6 KB) Saved template file.3dm (52.1 KB)

Now, If I export a bit of geometry created in an empty file, nothing happens : the file with the exported objects is not bloated.
Please note that I have un-installed VisualArgh yesterday.
But if I export say,a few points, from a large file (1.2 GB) that was created before I un-installed VA, I still get a 84+ MB file.
Here is the Audit file : Junk-Bloated export Audit.txt (8.1 KB)

Sending you the large file in PM.

Merci pour ton aide :wink:

That’s V-Ray…

Plug-in name: V-Ray for Rhino
Plug-in id: E8CFE179-B60C-411a-8416-62A893334519
user table[5]: (86345276 bytes)

86 Mb worth of data, or about the file size you’re experiencing.

Hi Mitch, thanks !
So there’s two independent problems here :
-Rhino asking to save an empty template file
-V-ray saving who-knows-what in exported files

Yet, when I create geometry in an empty file and export it, I get a normal-sized file.
My V-ray trial is expiring ; I guess I’m going to stay clear from it.

yes! finally… this worked for me too! thanks @pascal

So the fix is only for the WIP v7, correct?

Anything that can be done about the STABLE v6? The popup has been irritating me ever since we switched to Rhino6.

I’ve noticed this behaviour and I think it’s just caused me to lose rather a lot of work.

Until I read this thread I’d just been clicking on No, I didn’t want to save the empty template file. This morning I decided to see if I could get it to go away, so after clicking on the file I wanted to work on from the splash screen, I clicked on Yes, I do want to save the empty file (to see if I could find out what was causing the Save dialogue).

Instead of the save dialogue opening, the Open file dialogue appeared. This wasn’t what I wanted to do so I closed it down and exited Rhino.

After restarting Rhino I notice that the preview for my file is empty in the splash screen. Open it up and Rhino has overwritten it with an empty file. I’ve lost hours of work so I’m not terribly happy.

Yes, I do have a backup but not an up to date one.

To add - I’ve just tried this again to see if I did something really stupid. Using test files this time, if you click on Yes to save the empty file, Rhino overwrites the file you have selected from the splash screen. No warning. Nothing.

no, this fixed it for me in v6

you should still have the .3dmbak of that file

That’s what I thought but I don’t seem to have it. I have a vague memory of turning those automatic backups off as in over ten years of using Rhino I’d never needed one. Yes, I am kicking myself now.

I am rather staggered though that Rhino seems to have overwritten a file without any warning. It goes without saying I shall be turning those backups on again shortly.

Ha! That’s still there for historic value. I might change it someday as a non-flash version, with the exact same content. I might do that at its 20th anniversary. Only 3 more years I think.

I love your work BTW!

G

1 Like

Hello - you might try the same trick - open the template file you are using, in V6, and SaveAsTemplate from V6 and use the resulting file as the startup file.

-Pascal

Hm. so, I do not see ‘V-Ray’ any place in the Audit file if I run it on Olivier’s giant file here (no Vray present, but still). But in any case I think VRay is associated with the plug-in above what you grabbed , @Helvetosaur - I think you got the bottom of one entry (user table [4] and the top of the next, user table [5] .

The large byte count is associated with the next plug-in in the list, which has ID Plug-in id: 3F5C54C8-2A32-49a9-ADE2-79E489B8060B, here. This corresponds to Tibidalbo. So the data from VA is in there - whether or not you load VA, the stuff is in the file. Now… whether that should accompany any export is a legitimate question, I’ll see what I can find out about that… but to clean up, @osuire, I would try this:

• If there is any other plug-in data, like Vray materials, save those off to disk where possible.
  • Save with no data.
  • Bring in the VRay materials.
  • Save.

Does that do anything good? Note too that on Export, you can save with no user data. Of course it would be best if getting rid of it is possible.

-Pascal

Ah, OK, that was confusing… sorry for the mis-info.

It is confusing… I always have to look at the top of the list to see what it starts with to remember how to read the thing.

-Pascal

@pascal ;-( it is back, and I can’t seem to fix it this way anymore. Wonder if I did the steps correctly:

-Open Rhino
-Open…(getting the Save changes to Untitled dialog)
-Click yes
-Save as template
-check to open that as default

no dice…

Hi Gijs - is this all in V6? Try New - find the template you created - make sure it has a recognizable name so you’re sure to get the right file, and then check the box there for using that file when Rhino starts…
?
-Pascal